Tuesday, February 13

Bitter--Party Of One


Not that I, personally, will be getting anything from anyone for Valentine's Day or (Single Girls Awareness Day aka F**K All The Happy People Day) but there will be a sea of candy, cupcakes and chocolate floating around my office since V and I are the only single people who work here. Which will lead us to the wine and/or chocolate chip cookie dough and the movies. V watches the sappy chick flicks but I tend more towards things that blow up. Die Hard with a Vengeance is a perennial fav. After a day of watching women show off their jewelry and signing for other people's roses I think I'm entitled to a little bitterness. Not a lot---just some cinematic death and destruction...and wine.

I have, however, made sure that my mother will not have to deal with the bitterness. She'll be getting tulips (her favorite flower) and a teddy bear and a big cheesy heart shaped balloon AND chocolate! All from a 'secret admirer'. Of course she knows it's me. She's known for the past two years- but that doesn't make it any less fun for either of us. Each year she tells me that I shouldn't have spent money on something so silly but I know from personal experience (2 years in a row now...not that I'm counting) how it feels to be the only one walking through the parking lot empty handed after work and I won't let that happen to her.

And one day maybe someone will make sure it doesn't happen to me... yeah, right.

0 Comments: