Thursday, February 15

www.jodipicoult.com

I made myself a romantic dinner for one last night and then I gave myself an amazing gift. I decided to read a little with dinner so I picked up the only book left by Jodi Picoult that I had not read. This was around six pm. At 1 am when I put it down I had to get up and out of my house to get her words out of my head a little. It was freezing last night (I'm in VA not PA, but still...) but I stood outside taking in huge gulps of the frigid air. When I was nearly hyperventilating I went back into my building and up the stairs into my apartment. People say all the time about books "I couldn't put it down". Well, what they mean was that it was an engrossing read. But probably if they got tired or one of their favorite tv shows came on they would be able to put the book down. I ignored four phone calls, the second episode of LOST, and the clock. I tried three times and I could not put this book down. I thought I knew, but I had to be sure, it was too close to home and completely alien to me at the same time. It was, in short, a Jodi Picoult novel.
Let me just say right here that I love Jodi. I am a fan. I got Songs of the Humpback Whale and My Sister's Keeper from the library and then went out and bought everything else that Waldenbooks had. I thought I had read them all. Then I stumble upon a sale at the bookstore and realize that I hadn't read The Pact.
There isn't one thing that I love about her writing- but there is one thing that I love the most. It feels like truth- like life. In all of its pain and joy. In all of the messy details. She just gets it right- and that's a lot.

0 Comments: