Friday, March 2

Poems aren't finished -they're abandoned...

I have a problem. They say the first step is admitting it. Hello, my name is G and I'm an addict. I can't stop eating the Black and Bleu Bacon Cheeseburger from Backyard Burger. Seriously. I had four last week. I crave them. I wake up in the morning thinking about them and I crave them all day long until I have one for lunch---or dinner if I'm trying to pretend that I have willpower. I don't know how it started. Well, that's not true, I do know how it started. You always tell yourself that you will be the person who can handle it- but the truth is that I am powerless over that burger. From the first moment that I took the first bite I knew...
It's not that this is the best burger I have ever had (although it is in the top five). There is just something about it. I have tried to recreate it's affects in the lab (my kitchen) but I can never get it right. Of course my failures have been gastronomically delightful--but they haven't induced the craving that I feel even when I am walking out of the Backyard Burger.
The only things that have slowed the beast are the embarrassment factor: I can't go in there every day...at least not during the same shift... and the fact that this is not a cheap addiction. This is no Value Menu crush.
In an effort to get over this I have started putting bleu cheese on practically everything . I figured that if I got sick of the taste of the cheese I would be able to let the burger go. It hasn't worked--but I did hit upon a pretty good recipe for sweet potatoes. I'm trying to keep my eyes on the silver lining here folks!
So if you want to try the recipe here you go:
Bleu Cheesy Sweet Potato Bake

2 large sweet potatoes
1 tbs butter
1 tbs fresh thyme
1/4 cup bleu cheese crumbles

Pre-heat oven to 350
Grease 13x9 baking pan with the butter
Rough chop the potatoes into about 1 square inch pieces
Spread potatoes evenly in pan
Sprinkle thyme over all
Cover tightly with tin foil and bake for 1 hour ( or until pieces are soft)
Remove from oven and mash the potatoes with a masher or a large fork
Sprinkle with cheese
Replace in oven uncovered for 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted

0 Comments: