Monday, June 25

Fort Walton

I had no idea how much I needed to get away from here until I got away from here. Don’t get me wrong, I am happy in my little corner of VA. I’m still exploring it and finding out cool new things about my city all the time. It’s just that whenever I leave the crazy stress of work it is usually for the crazy drama of Chucktown. This time, however, there was none of that. We woke up late, had Bloody Mary’s with our steak and eggs, loaded up the cooler and hit the road. By 2pm we were pulling onto the beach. There were about four miles of trucks, jeeps and dogs everywhere. We played and swam and just hung out. No plans, no timetables- just ocean, sun and beer. I cannot overstate the relaxing properties of watching a gorgeous man playing with his dog along a beach at twilight. There was a bonfire and new friends. There were drunken people trying to jump over said bonfire but no serious injuries. I learned that ‘Fort Walton’ is the new F word and has just as many uses. There was laughter and football, stupid stories and yes- we took pictures.
Sunday found me sitting in the bed of the truck watching the sun rise over the water and feeling more rested on less sleep than I could remember. Yes, I have taken three showers and am still finding sand on me, but it was all worth it and we are going to do it again as soon as we can. You’re all welcome to come with us. Take a break. It’s good for you.

6 Comments:

Flynn said...

I'd love to come play in the sand and the surf, if it wasn't for that damn ball of fire in the sky always trying to kill me...

But I'll settle for crazy drunken photo album fun :)

karma lennon said...

Sounds heavenly...that's what I need.

WNG said...

Flynn- There's always nighttime...
Karma- July 21, come on down!

Jocelyn said...

I'd wager the remaining sand is it some pretty deep crevices...

Nice description; I can picture that man with his dog at twilight. I like that man.

WNG said...

Jocelyn- too many days later there was sand in places we don't discuss. Thanks, I like him too.

His Sinfulness said...

Damn, I miss my beach. Other coast, same good karma...

Glad you had fun!