Wednesday, July 11

Harry Potter Review


If this doesn’t make any damn sense that is because the coffee hasn’t kicked in yet. I doubt anything less than a gallon is going to touch the depth of tired in which I find my self. G, you ask, was it worth it? Oh peon, silly, silly peon. HELL YES IT WAS WORTH IT!
First of all, let me say that you cannot put over 700 pages of book on the screen. It is not possible and I know this. I am an adult. Sometimes. I went into the theatre figuring that certain things would get skipped over and trying to prepare myself for the letdown. I wasn’t let down. Plot points were made, quickly, but they were made. I had a little snit about the Occlumency lessons and they cut the last scene in Dumbledore’s office, but I’m over it now. OK- I am not over the Dumbledore scene. I wanted to see the filmy strands of memory come swirling out of his head. I wanted to see the entire prophecy. I would have been fine with a three hour movie. But it was not to be. Sniffle. Sigh.
Here is my real problem. Somewhere along the way Emma Watson unlearned how to act. She was stiff (not Hermione stiff, just stiff) and stilted and seemed to be ‘acting’ the entire time. It threw me off. The chemistry was all whacked out and this is the book where the chemistry is supposed to really start taking off. It could have been the directing. I would like to think that it was the directing since I’ve always really liked Emma, but I guess you’ll have to judge for yourselves. Watch out for the laugh. When you see it, you’ll know.
That being said, this movie was still worth the crazy pain that is my day on three hours of sleep. I went with friends (not quite) as obsessed as I am and one friend who had never seen any of the movies or read the books. We all walked out having had a great time. I’m going again. So should you. Join the Order of the Phoenix, you won’t regret it.

Ps. Let me just say that Ginny rocks, has always rocked and I am SO glad we’re finally getting to see her show off on the big screen!

Pps. It was a sick amount of fun to hate Dolores (Cheney)Umbridge with a room full of other people.

10 Comments:

His Sinfulness said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Maybe with repeat viewings, Hermione's behavior will become easier to ignore. Some of my friends said JarJar was like that...

WNG said...

Oh I'm going again this weekend. Wild Thestrals couldn't keep me away. God Lord I am a dork!

Mayren said...

i will watch it with you in spirit this weekeng Sweet G. After I see it you and I will have to gab about the likes & Dislikes etc.
I should invite you to guest blog on it.
heheh

karma lennon said...

I cannot WAIT to see this! My friend is coming into town this weekend and has never read nor watched the others either but I am making him go with me!

WNG said...

Mayren- Gab we will, I'll have so much more to say after a good night's sleep and a second viewing!

Karma- I don't understand how there are people who haven't read any of the books or seen any of the movies. I'm glad you are taking one of these sad souls under your wing. We should all give back to the community...

Mayren said...

LOL! Giving back to the community indeed. It's almost like giving a person back a tiny bit of inner child and throwing in a balancing of their spirit to introduce them to something as wonderful as reading GREAT books.

I'm just fortunate that Harry Potter is written so well. The real world morals and values along with the fun transcend many ages.
I can talk about Harry with my Gramma as well as my little 12 year old sister in law. Fun!

His Sinfulness said...

You know, the academic view of the Harry Potter novels isn't so kind as you...

WNG said...

Muggles. What do they know?

Jocelyn said...

This is my kind of review...frank and vested with personal emotion...even the stuff you don't like in the film, well, now I want to go witness it myself.

WNG said...

Thanks Joceyln! You won't regret it.