Wednesday, July 25

Harry vs. Jesus

“ I wouldn’t waste my time reading Harry Potter.”
“I’ve read synopsis of what it’s about and I know why it was written and I’m not interested.”

First of all I didn’t ask you to read the book. Someone mentioned that I had read it. No one is trying to force you into reading anything. I am however, getting pretty damn sick and tired of the so called Christians trying to turn the entire Harry Potter series into some morally questionable read.

Of course we shouldn’t want our children, and anyone else for that matter, reading about such subversive topics as the power of love to conquer hate. We don’t want our children to learn about the power of redemption or sacrifice. We especially don’t want them to place any value on the family or the idea that friends stick together and stand up for each other. We should hide them from the notions of the powerful protecting the weak, respect for all regardless of their appearance or economic status. We should keep our children away from this horrible series that uses fantasy to teach lessons like “It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” Harry Potter is a dangerous character because he was willing to lay down his life to protect the people he loves and to fight an evil that threatened them. We need to steer our children away from any literature that speaks of love, humility, service, fortitude, respect and courage.

Nothing in any of the books suggests that magic is a replacement for ANY religion. It is a talent and a skill learned in a, say it with me now people, FICTIONAL world. Somehow I was smart enough to read Cinderella and A Child’s Bible at the same time and not mix up The Holy Ghost and The Fairy Godmother. I think kids today can tell the difference between Harry and Jesus.

My question is this: How much faith can you actually claim to have if you’re scared of a children’s book?

8 Comments:

Karmalennon said...

It drives me crazy when people do this! When the series started my mother refused to read them or keep them in her classroom because they were about "witchcraft". When she said that, I just stared at her a moment and said "Mom, you show Disney movies in your class. Half of those have witches in them. What's the difference?" People don't have real stuff to worry about so they make up stupid things like this to be concerned about.

WNG said...

Amen.

His Sinfulness said...

I felt very much the same when Fundies were burning records because if you played them backwards there were "satanic messages" on them.
If a kid can be turned from the "path of righteousness by Harry Potter, then the path wasn't very clearly marked or appealing in the first place.

See here for another example of this form of fundamentalist asshattery - with sprinkles and hot chocolate.

meno said...

Well said!

Flynn said...

I feel your pain on this one. The level of ignorance that goes into that way of thinking is almost unfathomable. It's the same thing that I get to see happen to the video game industry. I'm sorry, if a game, book, song, or movie has the power to dislodge some-ones entire spiritual belief structure, or turn that person from a promising youth into the next [insert famous evil-doer here], there was something wrong with that person before they were ever introduced to the media in question...

WNG said...

I knew I could count on you guys to have my back. Thanks.

Mayren said...

right there with ya sweets.

This kind of thing is completely offensive. Sorta like when i posted HERE.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

This is an excellent post! I just love that you didn't mix up The Holy Ghost and The Fairy Godmother as a child.

It's too bad so many adults are unable to make that distinction, or think it needs to be made.