Monday, July 16

Single Mother Fatigue

There was nothing, technically wrong with my weekend. In fact, from the outside looking in it was pretty great. I went out with Joe on Friday night. I had to work Saturday morning, but I survived it. Saturday night I spent with some theatre friends; eating, drinking and laughing our a**es off at tapes of each other’s high school shows. Yes my friends and I are all dorks. Sunday morning I was on hangover duty since I was the only one not in pain. I made breakfast and dispensed coffee, Advil and hugs where necessary. It’s what I do. I’m the mom.
So I guess it’s no wonder that my dream weekend is one in which someone is taking care of me. Not waiting on me hand and foot, that would be a little weird (plus I might get used to it and then I’d be completely screwed come Monday morning). I just want to not have to think or to make any decisions. I would love to just be able to float through the weekend like a child while someone else handles the details.
This will not happen any time soon. And I know it won’t happen unless I ask for it, which I won’t. I never ask for the things I really want. It’s one of the things about me that I don’t like. The good news is that I am not one of those completely irrational people who get angry when I don’t get what I never asked for in the first place. I get annoyed with myself for not asking, once again…
Here’s the thing though- if you have to ask for the thing, it’s just not the same. When I’m down and I have to ask a friend to hang out and cheer me up it never works as well as when they notice that I’m down and suggest it themselves, you know?
People tell me how strong I am and how self sufficient I seem. They come to me for advice and they count on me to take care of them. This is great. I love taking care of people- I have a maternal streak ten yards wide, but I’m starting to feel like a single mom here.
Meet Joe Black was on tv when I got home from work on Saturday and I watched it before I went out. There’s a line in that movie I love, “What’s wrong with taking care of a woman? She takes care of you.” So even though I may not be able to ask for it out loud in the real world from friends and family and Joe I will say here in blogland that my wish for the upcoming week is this: snuggles and beach time, friends and laughs and not waking up before nine, coffee and bloody marys and people giving me hugs. There it is universe. Please.

10 Comments:

His Sinfulness said...

Your maternal streak is matched by my chivalric streak. If you were anywhere near my part of the country I would be riding to your rescue right now with a Bloody Mary in hand...

karma lennon said...

Aw...hugs for you. I know how you feel, I do the same thing where I won't ask anybody for anything. But now that you've put it out there in the universe, hopefully it will happen for you. I hope so.

Susan said...

I'm coming over with margaritas and hugs. I hope your upcoming weekend is made up of all those things. It would be nice, wouldn't it?

WNG said...

HSBP- you and Flynn keep saying things that make me wantto come visit...and then I remember where you live... thanks for the offer though!

Karma- let's hope that the universe is listening and cares a little bit...

WNG said...

Susan- I've heard about your margaritas! I hope it is too, cross your fingers for me :-)

Flynn said...

It's for times like this that I keep a healthy surplus of chocolate, margaritas mix, and good movies on hand. And the florist on speed dial...

[hug]

WNG said...

Thanks Flynn, you're a good guy. I'll take a wildflower bouquet please...

Mayren said...

There's an old saying: "Who Counsels the Counselor?"

It's tough being "the mom". I think that is yet another reason we get along so well sweets, because i feel your pain :).

Just keep plugging away at your outlets like the blog, and other small things to release all the negative and you'll feel better.

At least you can know that even if your friends don't say it - at least one of them does actually appreciate you, or at least that's the usual scene. They just may not show it well.

*SUPER WONDER TWIN HUGS*

WNG said...

OOOO Mayren hugs- yea! I do know that they appreciate me- they just never realize that I may need a mom too :-)
It only bothers me two or three times a year...and here we are stuck in one of those times...but I have Mayren, so I'm good!

Mayren said...

*blush* your too cute G

You do have me.. and Linus, and Flynn and a whole slew full of peeps at your disposal.