Thursday, August 30

Fresh new hell???


10 Year Reunion Announcement!
AC Flora Class of 1997 Reunion
Friday,
November 23, 2007 - 7:00 pm
Place Name has
been changed to avoid stalkers
$30 per person in advance, by November
1
The event is in Palmetto Room from 7-10 pm. There will be heavy hors
d'ouvres and a cash bar. Starting at ten, there will be a band in the main room
at (the place) for those who would like to continue the fun!



Maybe I should be excited. After all there are people on the list that I (surprise) would actually like to see. Still, it’s weird. I was tooling around on the website and so many of them are married, with kids! It’s awash in graduate degrees, wedding rings and babies. Not that I care much about my lack of any of that. It’s just strange. I picture these people in my head as I last saw them; 18 years old and ready to take on the world. When we were 18 it was basically the same world. Yes, we had our political, religious and cultural differences, but we were much more similar. ACF is a small school and my class was a small one as well (around 200 and some change), most of whom had been together since at least middle school. We walked out of graduation living in ‘Coulmbia, SC 1997’ and moved into what seem like vastly disparate solar systems. (An old friend of mine is now a professor in London- I’m in marketing in VA!!!)
And maybe that is what this entire exercise is about. Maybe underneath the bragging about our degrees, jobs, spouses and houses we will truly be trying to reconnect. To find our way into each other’s orbit. To extend a pretty shaky metaphor past all reason…
We’ll see…

7 Comments:

Susan said...

One thing that could have greatly improved your looking forward to this event is if it said "Open Bar" instead of "Cash Bar". Nothing makes a reunion like a bunch of old drunk friends.

WNG said...

This is true. Cash bar does, indeed, put a whole different spin on the night (ie I will have to be nice to people who will buy me drinks)...

mist1 said...

I'll crash your event if you change it to an open bar.

WNG said...

What about if I get you a designated buyer?

meno said...

Wild Horses couldn't drag me to my high school reunion. Do i sound bitter?

WNG said...

Meno- I thought the same thing for a while, until I actually got the invite. Now I'm so wobbly on it I might just fall down :-)
And no, you do NOT sound bitter... just honest.

tirza said...

To be honest, the thing that impresed me most, was that everyone got fat and wrinkly. For some reason, that just made me happy.