Tuesday, September 4

The Heart of a Star


It was a long weekend for me, too. I had two whole days off! Instead of my usual running around like a chicken with my head cut off and trying to get ten million pointless things done in a vain attempt to lighten my weekday load I decided to loaf. I used to be a champion loafer (I have ribbons), but lately have joined the crazy American rat race of getting nothing done yet somehow never having any free time. Well, bollocks to that! (Sorry, I was emailing a friend in the UK earlier and I can’t help it…) So, I slept. I read. I took a long walk with some friends by the water and talked about whatever randomness popped into our heads. We rode the ferry between Portsmouth and Norfolk for an hour watching the people come and go. I saw the Bourne Ultimatum, which was exactly what it was supposed to be and then on Monday…
I woke up in a great mood. The sun was shining but the air was cool. I checked in with the fam and found that life with them was strange, as usual, but good. Called Joe, but he was at work. I watched some tearjerky (yeah I made that word up- what?) Rachel Ray while I feasted on Dunkin’ Donuts. Life was pretty swell. I decided to go the movies by myself. When I was in high school I would go to two or three movies in a day on the weekends. I was a junkie. Part of me misses that time alone in the theatre. I’ve been thinking a lot about high school lately. Anyhoo- I took a shower, got dressed and took myself off to see Stardust. Then I went to see it again. I’m not kidding. Everyone I know who’s seen it has been comparing it to the Princess Bride, so I won’t. I will say that I love the way it made me feel. It was the best fairy tale I have ever seen (not the best movie) and I was on a movie high for the rest of the day. I’m actually still getting a bit of a glow as I type this. So all I can say is go see it. Now. See it on the big screen before you miss your chance for a movie screen sized Robert DeNiro in drag. “It’s ok, we always knew you were a bit of a whoopsie!”

8 Comments:

Susan said...

This may be what I need to lighten my very dark mood. I'll go see it tonight. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Mayren said...

I've been waiting to see this movie because I just hadn't heard anything about it.
Thanks for the info!
*hugs*

WNG said...

Susan- Not kidding- it will fix everything. If it doesn't there's always vodka :-)

Mayren- GO. SEE. IT. RIGHT. NOW.

*sigh* it's so nice to have contributed something to the world...

meno said...

I too love this movie. i have always been very involved in fairy tales and this was as wonderful as you say.

Bugger the critics. (I have English friends too.)

Dee said...

Glad you're at the movies and not sitting around boo whoing missing me cuz I am not coming back. But if need a partner in crime for movie going give me a call. Miss you anyway. Dee

WNG said...

Meno- I'd really rather not bugger the critics- have you SEEN some of these guys??? But I am glad that you have once again shown your superior taste!

Dee- I went because I can barely breathe for missing you and I had to do something! But seriously, work sucks without you- why don't V and I come work at the school with you? I (still a) good with kids!

His Sinfulness said...

Looking forward to seeing Stardust myself!

(I'm back, by the way... :))

WNG said...

Well it took you long enough, Pater!!! I mean really (huff)...
Ok, calm now. I just missed you so much...sniffle...sniffle...