Saturday, September 22

A Whole New Interview

Well, I asked for it! I have to thank Heart In San Francisco; for welcoming me into her fantastic blogworld and this meme. So…here we go minions! Buckle your seatbelts!

1. You mentioned in one of your posts that you are a “super fan.” Who are your idols, and what appeals to you about them?

I first heard the Indigo Girls the summer after 7th grade when I was at a Girl Scout camp in SC. We would sing “Closer to Fine” in our cabin at night. There was a counselor there who would listen to all my crazy dreams of fame and fortune in such a serious way that I came to believe they weren’t crazy dreams at all. 5 years later I was a counselor there and still an IG fan. The sound of Amy and Emily’s voices will always bring me back to those two summers.

I can’t remember when I fell in love with William Shakespeare. I love the comedies. Love them. One of the best times in my high school life came on a Saturday afternoon when my mother (who hated reading S in high school because it made her feel stupid) laughed out loud when we watched Much Ado About Nothing. She literally had no idea that The Bard could be funny…or raunchy. Henry V and Midsummer Night’s Dream are my favorites, but I have read them all at least twice.

I once choked on my dinner because Sam Shepard walked into the restaurant where my roommate and I were eating and was seated at the next table. I think every person on the planet who has a father, brother or son should read True West. Shepard is a national treasure.

I cannot talk about Aaron Sorkin without gushing and rambling. I would pay any amount of money you could name to get to act one of his scenes. I own every movie and episode of television he’s written. I watch certain episodes of the West Wing when I need a lift, or an excuse to cry, or just when I need some hope. The man is an absolute genius with language, story structure and wit.

There are people in this world whose talent has touched some chord in me. When that happens I’m yours. I will read your work, see you perform, go to your games and listen to your music. I will defend you against all comers. I will spend my money and my time. I am a super fan.

Of: The Green Bay Packers, Jodi Picoult, Bradley Whitford, Simon West, Jeffrey Wright, Nora Roberts, Ayn Rand, The Police, Amos Lee, Robert Johnson, U2, Eddie Izzard, Robert K. Tanenbaum, Stevie Wonder.

2. If you were a fictional character, who would you be?

This is a much harder question than I would have thought. My head is now completely empty and now filled with a thousand names. Honestly I haven’t read or seen anything resembling myself. There have been many characters I’ve seen bits and pieces of myself in and I am the heroine in every novel I have read, but still…nope. I guess that means someone should write a book about me, huh? (Either that or I have absolutely no self knowledge at all…)

3. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you choose to make your home, and why?

I have been blessed to travel to many places around the globe and each of them has a piece of my heart, but I would have to say Seattle, WA. Even though I have a great phobia of whales (don’t ask- that’s a whole other blog) and my hair goes completely frizzy in any amount of humidity at all that is still my dream city. I am a city mouse and a country mouse…and picky about both. I want my city to be a real city. I want traffic and public transportation, major league sports and a serious art scene. I want education and an ethnic mix. I want people and noise and lights and bars and… and… and. I also want mountains and quiet green trails through the wilderness. I want horses and shady green places to ride them. I want climbing and kayaking and magnificent vistas and mountains. I have tried the desert and realized I love living on the water. Seattle has it all.

4. If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?

It would be the fact that I can’t say “Nothing. Everything that I am (good and bad) is an essential part of the whole and I wouldn’t change anything.”

5. Look into your crystal ball and tell me what you see yourself doing in five years. Describe your surroundings, the people in your life, your work and your play.

In five years I will be in Seattle. I will have my own house and I will be able to see the water from my bedroom window (I might have to stick my head out two feet and crane my neck until it almost snaps, but I will have a water view). I will have two dogs, a Chocolate Lab and a German Shepherd. I will be working towards opening my own bookstore. My days will be filled with work and my nights with research on locations and worries about financing. I will still be blogging, driving everyone crazy with each step of opening a business and losing readers right and left. Mama G will visit me a couple times a year so she can spoil her granddoggies and we can have girl time. I’ll have a favorite bar at which I’m a regular and a group of friends I hike with. My life will be full of work, volunteering, good people and great food. There will be a man who sees my strength and my cracks, lets me see his and loves my dogs. I want it all and I’m going after it. Check back in five years and we’ll see…

Interview rules:

1. If you would like to participate, leave me a comment saying "Interview me."

2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions.


3. Update your blog with a post containing your answers to the questions.

4. Include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.

5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you ask them five questions.

If you request questions from me, please give me a few days so that I can personalize them.

5 Comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Wow! I feel as if I know you, maybe because in some ways we are so much alike.

I could easily join a fan club for most of those you cherish, the Indigo Girls, Shakespeare (of course!)Aaron Sorkin, Robert Johnson, and Others on your list.

I saw Bradley Whitford at the Rose Parade a few years ago. He had an infant tucked inside his jacket, and I was utterly charmed because I have a yearning for father-child tenderness.

I can easily see you owning a bookstore in Seattle. I feel as you do about places -- I love country and city, but find the suburbs, where I was raised, dull. And I love the country and city for the same reasons you do.

We really have to have lunch!!

Thank you for such great answers to my questions. I love your honesty, and your dreams.

WNG said...

Thanks Hearts! It was fun, mostly because you asked great questions! We will do lunch, I'm going to have a cafe inside the store :)

ps Bradley Whitford is just too talented and, well, yummy, for words! Add a baby to that and I probably would have swooned!

Susan said...

OOOhhhhhh interview meeeeee...

His Sinfulness said...

Posts like this are what keep your blog on the top of my daily list. Honesty and self-examination, coupled with proper spelling and grammar is SOOO sexy...

WNG said...

Susan- I'm on it- don't you worry!
Pater Major- when you're right, you're right!