Thursday, October 25

Cruel to be Kind

Twilight started yesterday around 3pm. The skies went black and opened up. We have been in desperate need of the rain. In my part of VA we are about 14 inches low for the year and everyone has been praying for a good soaker. Actually, we need ten or twelve good soakers but we’ll take what we can get.
For about a month now I’ve been on a water conservation kick. While I’ve always been extremely conscious of my power usage I must admit that I rarely think about my water usage; probably because I don’t pay for it. Now the NY Times Magazine, my local news and my conscience have ganged up on me. It turns out that I was already a pretty good water conservationist, but there were ways I could be better and I’ve been working on them. Since I don’t have a lawn and I let Mother Nature wash Pookie The Wonder Jetta there hasn’t been a great change in my daily routine. Taking any action, no matter how small, made me feel better while we all waited for rain.
It’s still coming down. I don’t know how many inches have fallen around the area but I do know that this is he kind of rain farmers love; steady but not hard and it has been slowing up every couple of hours so theground gets a chance to soak it all in before the tap gets turned on again.
It’s also the kind of rain known as “go ahead and blow your last personal day so you can sleep in and watch The Princess Bride and read a book and snuggle into your bed and listen to the rain”. More than anything I could use a day off with nothing to do. A stolen day from the responsibilities of my life. A day to pretend I’m not sick. It’s not going to happen before the end of the year at least, but I can sit here stare out the window and dream…

6 Comments:

Susan said...

I could use one too. I could really, really use one.

Jay said...

Everybody needs a mental health day every once in a while.

I love rain. I go out and play in the rain. Or just lie in bed and listen to it rain is fun to do too! LOL

WNG said...

You and me both, Susan. I've been pretending in my head all day...not the same.

Maybe that's what I should say, Jay. "If I have to come in I'm going to go crazy, so I'm going to use a personal day." Think that would work?

NoRegrets said...

rain is so good when it hasn't rained in so long. clouds are nice. And you don't feel like you have to be outside doing something.

WNG said...

Definitely not- it's damp and almost chilly outside. Perfect sit inside and stare out the window weather :)

His Sinfulness said...

I love rainstorms, especially if there is no chance of them turning into ice like they do around here. When I was a kid back in North Carolina we used to sit on the screened porch in the afternoon and watch it rain buckets...