Monday, October 1

I'm giving up my vices, I'm going back, back to school...

There’s a lot going on in the Head of G this morning. First, let me say, we’re 4-0!!! That’s as far as I’m going because I don’t want to jinx anything and fate doesn’t like me so much.
Also, I have made some decisions. One decision. A big decision. I’m going back to college and as someone who barely escaped the first time this is particularly scary. I’m applying to UW and Seattle U because I’ve already made the decision to relocate next summer and they are both good schools. It’s time to jump in (which I’m getting better at).
I haven’t told anyone in my family yet. There are a number of reasons for this.


  1. In case you haven’t noticed, Papa G and I have a very complicated relationship. While he would be excited that I’m doing this, he would also try to hijack the process and I don’t need another fight on my hands.

  2. The program I really want is the Entrepreneurship Program at the Business College at UW and it is extremely hard to get into. My grades outside of my major classes were never stellar and if I get accepted to UW I will probably have at least a semester of work before I could get into the Business College if then.

  3. I am already crazy-go-nuts nervous and I haven’t even mailed back the applications yet! I don’t need my family being nervous with me.

  4. They have never believed that Seattle was really where I intended to go. Every single one of them has a connection in some other city that could surely make my life easier and all of these will be offered. Seattle is what I want, but I have a habit of taking an easier way when they offer it. They don’t so much ‘offer’ as move you along until you’re right where they thought you needed to be all along.


One thing I have learned being away from the Fam of G is that I need to be away from them. I do better and we all get along much better when I’m not there. 28 may be a little late to be spreading my wings, but it’s better than never. Honestly, I’m not sure if I could have flown straight from Chucktown to Seattle. This little stopover in VA has been good for me. So, here’s the plan: Whether I get in to UW or SU or nothing I am moving to Seattle by next Labor Day. I will get a job and start networking in the business community there and take business classes at night if I need to. I am going to start taking concrete steps towards this dream. I really wanted to share all this with someone, and since the Fam of G is out for now… the Minions of G will have to do:)
It’s a big move, but I’m a big girl.

4-0 baby!!! Go Pack!!!

8 Comments:

Flynn said...

Congrats on the decision to go back to school! Always exciting!

I'll admit a little shock, when I read "UW" I thought you meant our UW, I immediately sent the Pope a "G is coming to UW!" IM. Then we both realized you were talking about Washington...

Jay said...

That's awesome!!! Cool beans!

And 28 is NOT too old to be "spreading your wings". At least it better not be cause I'm 39 and if 28 is old I'm practically dead! LOL

Seattle is one of the places I would loooooooooooove to move to. Maybe I still will someday. Many years ago I was all set to move to Vegas. I had a hotel/apartment kitchenette and was all ready to go but backed out at the last second. I kinda regret not going.

Anyway, don't let anyone try to talk you out of what you really want to do with your own life!

His Sinfulness said...

Our own Nerdygirl took her leave and flew to Seattle a few years back. It seems the place to go to reinvent yourself...
:)

WNG said...

Flynn- I didn't even think about the possible UW confusion (Bad, bad G!) How about, to make it up to you, I bake you brownies on my way to Seattle next summer?

Jay- It's not that I'm old, just that I really thought I'd have done a lot more in my life by now... Anyway, why not go to Vegas now?

Pater- Hopefully it's the place for me as well. Maybe you'll end up with a Flock Satellite...

Susan said...

This made me smile. Big time smile. My plan is more of a five year plan once I finally finish my college classes. I have 5 years to learn Italian as if it's the first language and English is my second.


..then..I'll fly. I hope that the wind catches in your wings and your soar.

WNG said...

Susan,
I'd be content to glide...but I like the way you think. Right back atcha' babe!

Blonde Ambition said...

Yay! We are both starting a new chapter in our lives! How scary and exciting all at once!

WNG said...

Thanks V. It really is :)