Wednesday, October 10

It's All About Soul

There are two kinds of people in the world- people who want to say no and people who want to say yes. I don’t mean to separate everyone into optimists and pessimists, but people who take action and those who deny it.
I see this all around me. V is making a decision right now which will change the course of her life. She has no way of knowing whether it will ultimately be for the better, but she is climbing her way up and preparing to jump off the cliff. I see the people I volunteer with making the time in their lives to do something for someone else. I see people getting out into the world and making some type of change, leaving some type of footprint. I also see people completely unconnected from what they want in this life. They don’t know what their dreams are and so have no way of getting anywhere near them.
I really think everyone needs to stop for a minute, and hour or a day. Stop and take the time for some self reflection, Minions. What is it that you need in your life and how are you going to get it? I’m talking about the big things and the little things. Why have you never planted the garden you’ve been talking about for years, or learned how to use that software? Why are you spending more time on the things you have to do than the ones you want to do? Do you even know what it is you want?
Wake up and pay some attention to yourself. No one else is going to fix your life; you need to do that yourself. Make a plan, figure out how you’re going to take the first step and then just take it. You don’t have to see the end of the road.
“All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don’t sit looking at it- WALK.” – Ayn Rand
The entire change may be huge or tiny; it may be noticeable to everyone or only to you. The entire change may be unbearably hard but the steps? The steps are simple. Left foot, right foot. Do it now, because you don’t know how long you’ll have. Do it now because regrets are venomous. Do it now because it is what you owe yourself. Say yes.

12 Comments:

Susan said...

You should know I love this post.

I'm a "yes" girl. I decided, though, that I need to learn how and when to say "no"...That in itself is a big goal.

WNG said...

You are a yes girl Susan, no matter how hard it has been for you, you pick yourself up and move forward. You should be proud.

Mayren said...

Awesome quote by Ayn Rand!
great post. *huggles*

WNG said...

It's one of my favorite quotes ever, so thanks.
*huggles* back :)

NoRegrets said...

Sing along: "put one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be walking out the door"

Sometimes the steps are big honkin' steps, and aren't so easy. Like stepping out of an airplane door. Or stepping out the door of your home to not come back. But I understand your point.

WNG said...

And sometimes the hardest thing to do is to make the decision. Thanks for stopping by NR!

Blonde Ambition said...

That makes me feel better. As Nike would say "Just Do It!"

WNG said...

I like "You go girl!" myself :)

Jay said...

I need to change from being a "no" person to being a "yes" person.

WNG said...

Yes is more fun Jay, more risky and maybe there's more pain too- but it strikes me as just being... more.

His Sinfulness said...

The Zen Roshi Jiyu-Kennet used to say, "Time flies, as an arow from a bow." It was her way of encouraging her students to remember that time is precious - and NOW is the only time that really matters.

Good post. Great, even.

WNG said...

Me? (blushes) Great??? (simpers)
Weeellll...maybe a little bit.
Seriously, thatnks for the comment and the quote :)