Friday, October 19

Manners are Rude

Someone really needs to explain this to me. What business of yours is how I happen to be doing on any given day? I do not know you; I am probably speaking to you on the phone in order to direct your call to someone else or answer a general question. Do you need to know my mental state in order for me to do that? Does it do anything other than waste my time? No- I don’t think so. Why then, am I forced to lie upwards of 50 times a day in order to be considered polite?
Here’s my thing, minions: don’t ask a question you don’t want the answer to. This is something that has been bothering me for months now. Someone calls in and asks me how I’m doing and I’m supposed to say “Fine, and you?” and then they answer and then maybe, just maybe they’ll get around to the real reason they called and in the meantime the phones are ringing off the hook! Yet if they ask me that question and I say “I’m busy and frustrated because you’re holding me up”, then I’M the rude one. I honestly do not understand the point of that question.
Let’s say it takes 10-15 seconds for the ‘how are you’ exchange. By the end of my day that it approximately 12.5 minutes of my life you have forced me to spend lying about how I am and pretending to care about the lie you’re about to tell me. I don’t know about you, but I have so many other things I could be spending that time doing.
If you are not family, a friend, or a minion who actually wants to know how I am then
STOP WASTING MY TIME!


end of lecture… if you think I went a little too far please go check out the Captain
and then you can kiss my ass

10 Comments:

His Sinfulness said...

Testify, Sister!

That was a rant worthy of my finest sermons. I'm just so proud of you (sniff)... all grown up and bringing the fire and brimstone like a professional (sniffle)...

Jay said...

Well you do have a point. I mean, most people don't really give a crap anyway, so why do they ask.

Except me of course. If I called and asked how you were doing I would be sincere about it. ;-)

WNG said...

Save those tears, Pater, I hear they can cure assholitis and we're counting on you!

You, Jay, I would answer in all sincerity. I think we should start a movement. I'm working on t-shirts, because everyone knows you can't have a movement without them!

NoRegrets said...

So, how are you?

WNG said...

Oooohhh you're so funny!
Actually, I'm annoyed, b/c of work( or as I call it, HELL), I'm a little tired and really looking forward to going home and falling asleep to a movie from NetFlix. I've got a bit of a headache and I'm pretty lonely. But, you know, fine.

Susan said...

Boy you'd hate me on the phone. I'm one of those very "Hey G. How are you doing today?"..It's the Southern Belle in me. I just..can't..stop.

WNG said...

I could never hate you, Susan. Unless you did something crazy like eat the last of my ice cream...

NoRegrets said...

Well, I'm glad you're hanging in...
:-)

Blonde Ambition said...

LOVE it. Completely agree. I never ask how people are doing when I call somewhere. I call for sushi, I tell them what I want. I call to check the status of my car, and that's what I do! HOW PROFOUND.

WNG said...

It's shocking that you would actually know what you want BEFORE you call someplace. No one does that anymore. Assholes.