Monday, October 8

The Meaningless and All That's True...

I got up crazy early on Saturday. Again. This time it wasn’t to go to work, but to go to a class offered at the hospital where I volunteer. I now know a lot more than I ever wanted to about babies and HIV/AIDS. Then came a good cry in the shower at home. Somehow I never feel guilty about crying in the shower, when I do feel guilty about crying in general.
Talked to Papa G Saturday evening. He’ll be visiting again for his birthday in December and we’re going to go see James Blake and Serena Williams in an exhibition match at a cancer research fundraiser. I’m pretty excited about it. For some reason I mentioned my plans to move to Seattle and go back to school to him and he reacted exactly as I thought he would. After that round of crying I decided to quit the world. I pulled out Voyager, The Drums of Autumn and A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon and started to read. I was awake until well after three in the morning, but had nothing to do on Sunday and so didn’t care.
On Sunday morning things were looking up. It was a gorgeous day outside and I found some regular coffee in the back of my freezer and decided to treat myself. Then I saw the shrimp and decided to really treat myself. I made myself some coffee with actual caffeine in it and shrimp and grits and settled down again with my book, then George Stephanopoulos and then my book again.
Life was good; no- life was great, until the conversation with Mama G about the conversation with Papa G. Since I hadn’t taken a shower anyway I figured, what the hell…
I read all day long. When I finished one book I picked up the next in the series. After dinner I settled in to watch my secret lover lead his team to another win only to find that Jones ‘great hands’ had taken the night off as had McCarthy’s coaching ability. After screaming myself hoarse and basically having a temper tantrum during the last 3 minutes of the game I turned the TV off.
I picked up my book again.

9 Comments:

Susan said...

I know you cried on Saturday for me because, even though I hadn't posted about it, you simply felt my pain. You probably cried again Sunday when you knew what my problem was.

Don't cry today, though, 'cause I'm feelin..well..I'm feelin a little hard to explain. It's not bad, though, so who am I to complain?

Maybe on Saturday when I wasn't hysterical I was crying a bit for you too. On Saturday when I'd calmed down a bit I remember thinking "What kind of world has this kind of pain?"...so maybe the next round of tears included some for you too.

WNG said...

Well at least we can share and that's something. No more crying- I have Dublin Mudslide ice cream by my favorite men- Ben and Jerry :)

Susan said...

OH how I want some ice cream right now. I suppose I'll just sit here and drink my coffee while listening to office XM.

what's on, you ask? "Tonight's the Night" Rod Stewart..ahh good times.

Jay said...

You had a pretty full weekend.

Don't listen to negative comments and certainly don't let them cause any doubts to creep into your thoughts and ideas and plans.

I'm at a complete loss as to what happened to GB Sunday night. It just makes no sense. It's like they went into the locker room at half time and said "let's stop doing all this stuff that works so well and try things that are a little more risky". Great idea guys.

WNG said...

Susan- My love for Ben and Jerry has gotten me through many dark days... sigh...tummy rumbling...

Jay- I'm sending Jones some crazy glue. Not really- but I thought about it. WHAT was that challenge about?! The whole 4th quarter was a flash back to two years ago and a seminar on what not to do at the end of a football game. I still have a bitter taste in my mouth.

Whatever.

That's why God made Ben and Jerry.

Mayren said...

I don't want to cause any sadness but - what happened to Joe?

WNG said...

Mayren- you could never cause sadness, don't worry. I'm honestly not quite sure what happened except that he drifted away and when I called him on it we ended things. It wasn't a bad ending at all, I just needed more and said so (for the first time in my life- I'm pretty proud of that, actually).

Captain Smack said...

Hmmm... a nice Sunday, reading the whole day... sounds very appealing right about now. It's been a long time since I had one of those days.

WNG said...

I have those days all the time, Cap. I'm a big dork, it's how I roll.