Wednesday, November 21

Crack of Sunlight

I have the nasty virus on the run, minions! I’m feeling much better and I’m looking forward to my second 14 hour round trip drive in as many weeks. Yes, I am strange.
So, NoRegrets has asked for my veggie soup recipe. The thing about me is that I am a big time carnivore, so both of my versions have meat in them. You all, being big boy and girl minions, can take it out if you want to go the veggie route. Here’s the first one – you’ll get the beef one after the holiday:)

Sick Chicken Soup:
4 or 5 chicken breasts
2 large Onions
1 clove of garlic
Half a head of cabbage
1 Green Pepper
1 Red Pepper
2 stalks of Celery
5 Carrots
4 Turnips
1 Rutabaga
1 bunch of kale
½ bag frozen collard greens
½ bag frozen spinach
(feel free to use fresh – I don’t have that kind of washing/chopping time)
1 can of creamed corn
2 Tomatoes
Chicken Stock (I use three boxes of the reduced sodium, but I like a LOT of broth – so it’s really up to you)
Your favorite herbs (I use: sage, rosemary and thyme)
2 tbsp Tabasco sauce

Chop everything first. The herbs and garlic should be minced, but everything else can be rough cut. Bake the chicken, tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic and half of the herbs in a pan. While the chicken is baking start cooking the cabbage, turnips, rutabaga, carrots, celery and kale in the stock. You might want to start with the cabbage and kale and let them cook down enough to add everything else. Bring it to a boil and then turn it down to med/low and let everything simmer until your chicken is done or for 20 minutes.
When the chicken is done cube it and let it sit with the veggies in the pan for 5-10 minutes. Add everything else to the soup except the reserved herbs. Add the chicken and baked veggies along with the juices from the pan. (for the veggie version bake the tomatoes, onions, etc with the herbs in a light drizzle of olive oil). Keep the soup on a low simmer for another 45 minutes – test the veggies periodically so that you don’t overcook. Add the rest of the herbs and the Tabasco just before you’re done. You can use less Tabasco if you’re a wimp or a different type of hot sauce if there’s one you like.

This one freezes really well and is great when you’re sick but as you can see it takes a while to make. It’s not labor intensive, just time consuming. Feel free to add or subtract from it at will. It isn’t so much a recipe as a habit that has evolved over many winters. It is pretty low in both salt and fat, so it’s also guilt free :) I’ll get Mama G’s chicken corn chowder recipe for you soon, my minions, that’s hardcore!

Feel free to sub leftover turkey for the chicken! Have a great T-Giving! I’ll be back on Monday with stories from the reunion…if I survive…

9 Comments:

Jay said...

That's a pretty big soup. I would have to take the cabbage and green peppers out though.

WNG said...

Go for it Jay - have some yum. It is big (insert inappropriate comment here).

Susan said...

Have a great Thanksgiving, wng!

WNG said...

You too sweetie!

NoRegrets said...

Yum! thank you so much! I can't decide if I'm going to cook at all this weekend... we'll see. Happy reunion!

WNG said...

Whatever NoR wants, NoR gets. That's my motto. Keep your fingers crossed that I make it through the reunion unharmed...and without finally bitch slapping Patricia the way she has always so richly deserved.

NoRegrets said...

Whoever Patricia is, you can get her back by licking her face. Spread germs...ya know.

WNG said...

Heaben only knows what I might catch from HER NoR. I shudder to think. Hopefully she won't even be there (please, please God, please!)

The CEO said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Wng, I'm glad to know you!