Monday, November 12

Just When I Thought I Was Out

I saw American Gangster on Saturday. I took myself to the movies. That is something I used to do on a weekly basis but which has been gobbled up by the children’s hospital, working, working out, working weekends, and trying to keep myself, my clothes and my house clean. There just aren’t enough hours in the day and Sundays don’t count. My Sundays are locked in until the end of the football season, so I don’t even want to hear it.
What was my point? Ah yes, I went to see American Gangster. At some point I’ll probably do a review but for now all I can really say is that I need to see it again. It disturbed me and made me think. It had all of the standards of the genre, guns, money, drugs, women and violence. It also had something…more. I’m not sure if it was because of the time period or the approach to the subject or both or something else entirely. It’s two days later and my reaction to it keeps changing.
By the time I started going to daycare, kindergarten etc in Harlem Frank Lucas was off the streets. By the time he got out of prison we were living in SC. I keep thinking about that but I don’t know why. I keep thinking of all of the people he murdered, his people from his community. I keep thinking about whether or not the entire thing was inevitable and whether Harlem was better or worse off with Lucas and not the Italians running things. There are so many questions in my head.
I’m not sure I want to see it again; a lot of the imagery is extremely effective and disturbing. I’m going to see it again though, because I have a need to figure out, as much as I can, the myriad reactions I am still having to this film. I can say that this is a great and terrible film in the truest meanings of the words.

7 Comments:

His Sinfulness said...

Sounds like it's worth a watch...

WNG said...

It is.

Susan said...

The movie "american history x" had the same sort of reaction with me, it kind of seems reading this..

Jay said...

I really want to see this film. I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD though. We have a really crappy theater here in my little town. When I lived in San Antonio I used to go to the dollar movie sometimes which was pretty nice.

Anyway, I probably won't have the same reaction to it that you did, since I didn't live there or anything like that. But, I do find the story very interesting.

Oh and I didn't watch much football at all this last Sunday. The games were just so boring. Of course, we didn't get the Packers game here. ;-)

WNG said...

Susan - Me too, but there were less shades of grey in it for me, even though there were tons. There was a redemption that didn't happen here. But you're right about the types of feelings they evoke.
Jay - It works on so many levels, I think you'll like it. Oh, and I have three words for you: NFL Sunday Ticket...and then four: Go To a Bar...back to three: Watch the Pack.

Mayren said...

If it's worth anything - The interviews with friends/family etc of Frank Lucas say the movie was only about 20% true to life.
The rest was for the "movies".

Everyone says the movie is great though, and who doesn't love Denzel?

WNG said...

I love Denzel, but Mama G loooooooooves Denzel. I'll talk about my massively girlish, giggly crush on Common later...but he's playing one of Denzel's brothers (the yummy one)and that never hurts.