Tuesday, November 27

Like an animal...

This is just another reason you should all be watching the West Wing on DVD.
I just bought a goat. There’s an organization called Heifer International that gives milk cows, goat, sheep, chickens, ducks, geese, etc to poor people around the globe. I found out about them when they were featured in an episode of the West Wing and I’ve been donating each year since. This is the first year I could afford to buy a large animal – my ultimate goal is a milk cow.
My goat will allow a family to better feed their children. It will also let them make some money because they will be able to sell the milk that they don’t use. It’s a small thing, I know. Mama G calls me an idealist, but I don’t think that is the case. My philosophy is that if something bothers you then you should do something about it or shut up. If there is something going on in your community give your time AND money (and if you have no money remember that your time IS money and get off of your ass). If it is something in another part of the world then you should give what you can. My small thing helps one family. That one family is part of a community, country, continent and world however, and any positive thing that I do has a chance to affect the whole. That may be idealistic but maybe if more people were willing to do something the world wouldn’t be in so much shit…just an idea.
N.E.Way.
Check out Heifer International and The Grameen Bank (my two favorite charities). Give in the name of your family or in my name as a holiday present. Go to your local children’s hospital and ask what they need…then do it. Go to your local school and find out what the teachers need and find a way to get it done. Do something – anything! At the very least do your online shopping with retailers who will give a percentage of your money to charity www.nonprofitshoppingmall.com.Think of it as a diet for the soul. Now get off your ass and go lose some pounds!

11 Comments:

Susan said...

I can tell I'm not in the right state of mind when I went "OMG they're eating the goat??" and almost burst into tears.

I need to get well.

WNG said...

No one's eating the goat sweetie, they just drink the milk. Time to go home and climb back into bed now, Susan.

Susan said...

I actually went to work, G. Bed isn't an option.

Jay said...

Those are a couple of great causes. I love the nonprofit shopping mall though. My whole family does A LOT of shopping through Amazon and they are part of that deal.

I've helped out with Habitat for Humanity a few times, but I think America's Second Harvest is the charity I'm going to give to this year.

Mayren said...

I actually put Heifer on my blog for 2 years in a row to raise money for them during the holiday season. I only got my $20 donations each year plus my annual company donation.
I did actually get a comments from one of the Movers and shakers inside Heifer the company.
It's a wonderful and fabulous charity - even if it's not Vegan (thinking of certain pontiffs).
Teaching people to grow their own food in it's many forms is so important. It's alot more humane than just shoving money at other goverments who do not use it wisely.

WNG said...

So did I Susan, but I'm planning a revolt...

Jay - I love Second Harvest! Mama G works with her local food bank in Chucktown and she's gotten her entire office involved. I love how easy NPSM makes giving, so be sure to pass that info along!

Mayren - This just proves that we are related in some other dimension. We need more NGO's like Heifer so that maybe one day we won't need any. I know, it's corny.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I prefer to help individual families, not governments, because I would rather buy food than rocket launchers.

These are excellent charities, and giving to them is far more consistent with the spirit the holidays are supposed to stand for than the widespread greed that is so common.

And I don't mean that in a religious way. Our religion should be helping others as much as we can.

Flynn said...

Those are worthy charities hun, I'll look at them and add them to the BV links page. Nice to see people who try to help all year, instead of waiting for the holidays to cram a big guilt-dick down our collective throats... (starvation and sickness is seasonal right?)

Anyway, you mentioned the Children's Hospital, if anyone is interested it's about time for PA's Child's Play to ramp up into full production again. They give toys to sick kids... yeah, as it turns out, cancer is boring...

Anyway, good post hun, I hadn't heard of the shopping link before. I'll make sure that I check it before I buy this years commercially obligated expressions of affection...

WNG said...

You always get it Hearts. I try to give year round by volunteering, but I like to do something special during the holidays. Just trying to spread the word (and brainwash people into watching the West Wing).

WNG said...

Flynn - commercially obligated expressions of affection - PRICELESS. I got the shopping link from 'I am not Star Jones' at the Unemployment Cafe, so I can't take credit for that, but I'm glad you liked the post and please do link away!
I try not to get preachy (we already HAVE a pontiff) but I feel pretty strongly about actually doing something to make this world better instead of the bitching and moaning that seems to be so popular. Ok- getting down off the soapbox now :)

His Sinfulness said...

Testify, Sister. Amen!