Monday, November 5

Tell Me True

I’m thinking about honesty and how no one seems to want it in our public forums anymore. Politicians are not allowed to tell the truth. Their staff won’t let them because they know that we do not want to hear it. They are not allowed to say what they believe to be true without the varnish of one special interest group or another and without the polish of the party line. Do we want to hear the truth? Do we want to hear that the country is in massive debt and tax cuts won’t get us out of it? Do we want to hear the truth about Iraq? Iran? North Korea? China? Us? No. I don’t think we do.
Dog the Idiot- I mean bounty hunter – is going on an apology tour trying to spin his use of the N word. What would happen if he said “I have no respect for Black people and do not want anyone in my family involved with one. The very idea scares the shit out of me and I will disown my son if he continues this relationship”? He would be vilified for not apologizing for his beliefs and lying to us all about how he was going to change and how he didn’t really mean it. Why not start with the truth? Even if it is ugly? If we never admit to the problem how can we solve it?
The backlash to “Come On People” is pissing me off. Two intelligent, thoughtful and learned men have put together a book addressing a wide range of issues facing this country. There are hard truths in the book. Because some people are made uncomfortable when the mirror is aimed in their direction they are attacking the premise of the book. This is bullshit. Just because you don’t want to hear it doesn’t make it any less true.
I think it is time that we all start asking some tough questions. We need to ask them of ourselves, of each other, of our communities and of our leaders. The first question is this; do you want to know the truth?

8 Comments:

Mayren said...

the simplicity of being honest is too complex and shows vulnerability to most. They walk through life with blinders on enjoying their shades of gray and bland. The vivid jungle of Truth is too much for their feeble minds to grasp after the long haul of mind games and deceit.

Susan said...

I think in some ways I want to know the truth. It could be the scariest thing ever to be told, though, which makes me worried to ask for it.

However, I think on times in my life when if I'd been told the truth right off I wouldn't have wasted the time I long for it. How I long for it..

WNG said...

Mayren - it is so simple and yet the ramifications can be so complex. Still, I will keep looking for it...

Susan- You seem to me to be a truth searcher...even if you're sometimes peeking through your fingers at it. If there was no fear there would be no courage :)

His Sinfulness said...

In the process of studying Buddhism, I have come to realize that abstracts like truth are unique for each perceiver. Rather than debate "truth," I would prefer that politicians just speak frankly. By that, I mean they should just say what they believe to be the situation, in their own words, without spin and prevarication.

This might what you mean when you say "politicians are not allowed to tell the truth." They are never allowed to speak frankly. If they do, they are called "loose cannons" and they are quickly shifted to positions where they are not allowed to speak to the press or public much.

This is a much studied phenomenon in the academy. If you would like to be depressed beyond your years, just take a look at the concept of "Noble Lies" in the work of Leo Strauss (the philosophical father of the Neo-Cons). Made me mildly suicidal for a week or so...

WNG said...

I didn't mean to open myself up for a semantic debate...well, not this time...but that is what I meant - maybe I should have said to tell their truth or the truth as they see it. I use the word truth here purposefully because I believe that they are actively advised to lie and that we reward them for the lies and I think it's shameful.

Jay said...

I think it's pretty clear that the American voters don't want to hear the truth. They simply want to be told what they want to hear. Even if it's bullshit and even if they know it's bullshit.

Go back to the days leading up to the Iraq war. Look at all the media elite and "experts" the media brought on all their TV shows. How many of them were right? Practically none. Anyone who was opposed to the war was not allowed on the cable news shows. So, what has happened to all the experts and media elite? They're all in those same jobs. Except for the ones who have gotten promotions. And they are all still defending the war.

NoRegrets said...

Political correctness rules. Not that it always should. It sometimes does erase honesty.

His Sinfulness said...

Agreed - it is shameful. So what do we do to fix/stop it?

Ironically, my rant for today is also about being frank...