Tuesday, November 6

This is Our Country

I wrote yesterday about truth. I was writing about all kinds of truth but it seems that the chord struck when I touched on truth in politics. Is there such a thing? Let’s forget for a moment the BVPontiff’s argument about the inherent subjectivity of truth and assume for the purpose of this post that there are basic objective truths. Now, let me explain where all of this is coming from.
My mother is a Hillary Clinton fan. We can’t talk about it anymore. I cannot tell you how much I want to be able to vote for Hillary Clinton. I want to be able to tell my children and grand children that I voted for the first female President. The problem is that Hillary Clinton scares the hell out of me. Yes, most of the GOP field turns my stomach and I will work hard to keep them out of the White House but even they don’t scare me as much as she does. She has the country believing that she wants change. I think that Hillary wants to be President. I think that is all she wants. I don’t believe that she cares about you or me. I don’t believe she cares about the issues at all. I believe she wants to win. She will say what she has to and do what she has to. She will take money from anyone and play every divisive card she has. We aren’t talking about interns now, there are people’s lives at stake and if anyone thinks that’s a double standard or unfair that’s fine with me. It might be a double standard and it may be unfair but I don’t give a shit. The world has changed. George Bush sent my friends off to die and he lied about why he was doing it. He lied to them as he sent them into harm’s way. Hillary refuses to give a straight answer about one single thing and each move she makes runs counter to the words she speaks. She is incapable of answering a yes or no question, incapable of standing up to power, incapable of not pandering with every word that comes out of her mouth. Will she bring my friends home? Will she tell them the truth? No. What will she do? Well, it depends on the day you ask her. If anyone has ever gotten a straight answer out of her please let me know. I can’t trust even that she will stick to her own convictions, because I honestly haven’t seen any evidence that she has any. None of us would have any idea what she would do about a given situation, but my guess is that it would be whatever was most politically expedient.
I understand that I am not making a rational argument. I don’t really care. I do not trust that woman one iota. I don’t trust her with my life, my family’s and friends’ or with the stewardship of my country. Substitute ‘Politics’ for ‘Religion’ change the clothes and hair and there actually isn’t too much difference between George and Hillary. That is what I believe and I am not afraid to say it out loud or in print or anywhere. I wish either of them was able to say the same.

11 Comments:

NoRegrets said...

Yeah, I know. I feel a little guilty not wanting to vote for her. All politicians have a little bit of sleaze, but some...more than others. I hope Obama gets the nomination, but not sure that's going to work.

WNG said...

Edwards/Obama or Obama/Edwards...either way :) :) :)

Mayren said...

Alot of women would love to vote for Hilary - but just because we want a woman president doesn't make her the right one to be the woman president.

WNG said...

I'd vote for you, Mayren. Any day.

His Sinfulness said...

Hillary Clinton has a platform, and it is full of clear answers. A simplified version of it can be found here.

I realize that a lot of people don't trust her, and see her as a wishy-washy politician. This is similar to the attack that the Right used against Kerry in 2004. I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather have a "flip-flopping" John Kerry in office right now...

Please, study the positions of the candidates, and not just the hype. I've not made my mind up yet, but I haven't ruled anyone out yet either.

Jay said...

The problem is ... making the assumption that Hillary will be the Democratic nominee ... nobody can make the argument that ANY Republican is even remotely better than Hillary. Every complain you have about Hillary goes for every Republican.

Look at Romney and Rudy. As little as two years ago those guys were more liberal in their public positions than Hillary. Now they're way over to the far right and kissing Pat Robertson's ass.

Hillary scares me in many ways, but NOBODY scares me more than Rudy. Mitt Romney is a close second behind Rudy.

WNG said...

I have read her platform and I don't think I am reacting to the 'hype'. My problem is that she won't stand by anything that her advisors have written and I don't know how much of it has been bought and paid for.
I'm not saying that I would rather have another Republican in the White House, in fact I have been and will be volunteering for the Democrats as I always do.
My problem is not that I think she's flip-flopped (how stupid a phrase is that???)it's that I genuinely doubt that she is doing this for any reason other than the power of the Presidency and nothing she has said has convinced me otherwise. I have wanted her to be the President since before I could drive and I feel supremely let down by what I have seen in the past few years. Maybe if I hadn't been so solidly on her side I wouldn't be so scared now-I honestly don't know. I do think that either she or Rudy as nominees or Presidents would polarize this country even further and could do actual damage in the White House.
I cannot see her fighting the good fight and we have a long, hard fight ahead of us. She would be, to me, the lesser of two evils and I am damn tired of doing my voting that way.

Modig_Bjorn said...

Hi WNG! Please know that your feelings about Hillary are shared amongst many others.

With Colbert recently dropping out of the race ;), and Gore not entering, I am left without a candidate to get excited about.

This country needs a drastically NEW direction. My gut tells me that Hillary would not help in that regard. Would she be better than the current administration? Most assuredly yes! But this country desperately needs more than just a slight change of course. She just seems to be in it more for her benefit than that of "the people." I've asked it before and I'll ask it again, "Is it too much to ask that we have a NEW LAST NAME IN THE WHITE HOUSE?!?"

Even though Kucinich is more left than Barbara Streisand, I admire his candor. Ron Paul is also saying some good things, but some of his stances don't jive with me. Obama and Edwards are interesting, but they simply don't get me excited or inspire me. None of the front-runners are saying what I want to hear on the issues of the war or gay/civil rights.

Perhaps the dynamics of the race will shift in the future, but now, I am left wallowing in disillusionment.

His Sinfulness said...

Smarter people than I have pointed out that the last person who should be president is the person who actually wants the job - and yet, they ALL want it, or they wouldn't put themselves and their families through the misery of a campaign. I wish it could somehow be like the story of Cincinnatus...

Flynn said...

Clinton did good things, but I think that his wife would let her ego get in the way. I've long held that Hillary will start WW3... just wait. The woman scares me. She's bitter, egotistical, and angry. She will do good things here, and probably some things that not everyone will like too, just like every president. I'm concerned about how she deals with the rest of the world...

That said, the rest of the candidates aren't that much better.

WNG said...

Hi Modig!!! First, let me just say that I would have Stephen Colbert's love child.
Now that the important things are out of the way - I'd like a new name too. I'm not as depressed about the democratic field as I have been in the past and I'm trying to just be grateful for that. I think that an Edwards/Obama (or the reverse) ticket has the best chancee of winning AND getting something done AND not making too many more people hate us. When that became such a tall order I do not know.
PS Gore is guest starring on 30 Rock!
Pater- There are people smarter than you? Pshaw! They all want the job and I'm sure each of them have jumbled up reasons. She seems fairly nakedly power hungry though.
Flynn- They aren't that much better, but shouldn't we be pushing for every inch of better we can get? Glad I'm not alone in my nightmares...