Saturday, January 19

get up, stand up, don't give up the fight


"After one has discovered what he is called for, he should set out to do it with all of the power that he has in his system." MLK


I won't be sleeping in this Monday. I'm taking the day off (after a quick early meeting with the sales guys) so that I can have a 'day on'. I'll be heading down to one of the AME churches in Norfolk where I'll sign up to volunteer wherever they need me. This one day a year they become a volunteer clearinghouse for our area, sending people out to do good works in the community. Should this happen more than once a year? Of course. I am, however, getting tired of people who see each effort as never enough to be worthy when they are making these pronouncements from the comfort of their couches. The point is that each and every one of us has the power to affect change in the world. We can do something as small as march in a parade or as large as building a house for a family who needs one.
You all know I love to talk. Talk is great. At some point the talk becomes mere noise; more accolades and words do less to honor this amazing man than even the smallest action would. Do you think he'd rather have another proclamation read or have you register voters or collect cans for a food bank?

I hope all my minions have a great weekend and a great day off. But please think about making it a 'day on' instead.
The best way to start a movement is to start moving.
DO SOMETHING.

4 Comments:

NoRegrets said...

The last job I was at gave people a day off to volunteer once a year. It's not much, but it's something and helps to get people in the habit of volunteering. Sounds like a good day you have planned. I'm sorry I won't be doing anything this weekend - mentally I need the whole weekend, but I do make a point of volunteering and will.

Jay said...

A "Day On" is a great idea. More people should do that. Including me. ;-)

guerreiranigeriana said...

i love you for this post!!!...well said and done...

WNG said...

NoR - awesome job. It's what I would do if I ran my own place.

Jay - umm...so go do it sweetie. I'm just sayin'...

Guerre - I love being loved!!! It was fun...except for the paint up my nose, but that's for another post:)