Wednesday, January 9

Sexist, Racist Punditry

I have been hearing for a while now about how ‘torn’ Black women must be in this democratic primary season. On the one hand we have a woman, Hillary Clinton running and on the other hand we have a Black man, Barack Obama. Something about this is supposed to be ‘tearing’ our loyalties.
I’m confused. Can someone please tell me when exactly Black women became stupid? Are there no other issues in this race besides race and gender? Who ever said that just because Hillary is a woman she will agree with my stance on gender issues or that because Barack is Black he will agree with my stance on racial issues? What kind of political idiocy is this? I swear, it makes me want to scream at people. Look at the difference between Thurgood Marshall and Clarence Thomas and tell me that race matters more than actual issues.
As a Black woman who was raised in SC and has many Black female relatives registered to vote in that primary let me just say that this is ridiculous. Of course there are women who will vote for Hillary because she is female. Of course there are Black people who will vote for Barack because he is Black. There are also people who will vote for Hillary because of her last name, for Edwards because he’s a White male and for Barack because his wife is awesome. People vote for reasons having nothing to do with governance in each election. The Black women I know who will be voting in the SC primary will be casting their ballots for myriad reasons and I believe they are just as offended as I am to be boiled down to a sexual or racial voting bloc. We care about more than that. We ARE more than our race or our gender. We ARE more than our race and our gender.
I have an idea, before you start making demeaning generalizations about voters try asking one what she thinks. It might be a good place to start. Would I love to be able to tell my children one day that I voted for the first female or Black president? Of course. Will that have anything to do with how I vote? Nope. Not one damn iota. This country is more than that to me, this election is about more than that and MY VOTE is definitely about more than that. Stop for moment and have a bit more respect for me as a whole person before you try boiling me down again to predict my voting choices. Try it.

10 Comments:

Jay said...

You know it's funny. A lot of the pundits spend a lot of time talking about blacks voting for Obama strictly because he's black and women voting for Hillary strictly because she's a woman and they talk about how terrible that is.

But, there are lots and lots of people out there who will NOT vote for Obama strictly because he's black and LOTS of people who will NOT vote for Hillary strictly because she's a woman. For some reason the pundits aren't too upset about that. Weird huh?

WNG said...

I know that the pundits are trying to take a complicated situation and make hay out of it, but I get tired of being marginalized and spoken down to just so they can stay on TV. What is wrong with complications?
They do talk about it a little with Obama, Jay, but not so much with Hillary. I'd like to see us all focus more on what the candidates say, write and stand for than on one particular aspect of what they are.

Susan said...

I tend to vote on who I'd be most likely to knock boots with. Right now Edwards is in the lead howeeever if Chuck Norris is in I may just be lookin' at Huckabee.

;)

Flynn said...

Agreed, good rant hun!
The idea that any group of people would vote on such a shallow level irritates the hell out of me. Almost as much as the idea that a few poor, misguided people actually will. Cheers to everyone who isn't part of that crowed!

On a side note: our next podcast has a little something to do with this too ;) hope you like it.
Voting and such.

NoRegrets said...

complications require people to think. heaven forbid.

WNG said...

Of course you do Susan. I REALLY needed that chuckle today, so thanks for that.

Flynn - when are my rants less than excellent? I'll be right there for the podcast...it's been a while.

NoR - Think? Apparently that's a dirty word.

guerreiranigeriana said...

*dripping with sarcasm, of course*...now, now...of course you are torn...the only thing people really should consider when voting are race, gender, sec and looks...duh...frankly, obama is the one i'd most likely sleep with and the skin on his face is rather taut, compared to the others...so, yeah, he would get my vote if i was voting...because clearly, all that other stuff like the economy, war, foreign relations, healthcare and education are very minor compared to the ones i stated above...

...i begin to think that the media is actually trying to persuade people by making such stupid generalizations...even their stupid predictions...that whole idea that most americans don't think that hard, so if we tell them how they are thinking and how they shouldn't, we might be able to [insert devious and diabolical plan]...

His Sinfulness said...

Using Susan's criteria, I can ONLY vote for Hilary...

meno said...

While it would be VERY COOL to have someone who is not a rich white man elected president, i would still vote for a rich white man if he represented the things i want.

Honestly, i can hardly listen to the radio anymore because of the stupid nattering about the election. Issues people issues, not the latest polls.

WNG said...

Guerre- Don't worry the only diabolical plan that will work is mine. Brian Williams on NBC did apologize for listening to the pollsters more than the voters in NH. He also admitted that something similar would probably happen again by the time the NV caucuses roll around.

Pater - well that's all part of her evil plan. She's a sneaky girl.

Meno - Me too. I don't know why that is such a hard concept for people to grasp.