Wednesday, February 6

Mr. Arnold, I presume


I yell at the television.
I do it at sporting events, scary movies/tv shows or on the very rare occasion that I watch “reality” tv. Lately, I do it at the news. A LOT.
I don’t want to say that they take ‘man on the street’ type interviews and use them to back up the points they want to make but…
For most of last night I kept hearing about how Obama supporters said they’d be fine with the Borg Queen and vice versa. Umm…no.way.in.hell. As I have already stated on this blog the only reason I would vote for her is if I had to in order to protect Roe. Other than that I am done with the Clinton machine.
I doubt I’m the only one. I know we here on the internets are the most vocal and probably more passionate than your average joe about these things, but way too many of you have echoed my feelings on this blog and others for me to be that far off. Hell, there are people who aren’t even Obama fans who would vote third party rather than go Borg.
Here’s my question: why haven’t we been on tv? Why is the media trying to portray the two camps as virtually interchangeable? Are they trying to pressure Barack into accepting a VP bid before we’ve even packed for Denver? It’s weird that every example they use was of someone saying that either candidate would be ok with them or that whoever came out of the convention would get their support. It wasn’t quite enough to make me sign up on Facebook just to rant at them…but it was close
That’s not what I’m feeling and what good is having a blog if you can’t share your fears? My biggest fear (discounting a Rethuglican win) is that the Borg Queen of the Clinton Machine will win the nomination and offer Barack the VP slot and that he’ll accept. That would be a betrayal that would break my heart and I would never be able to vote for him again. The entire premise of his campaign is that it is time for a seismic shift in the way things are done. Yes, they may have similar policies but it’s the way that business will be conducted that is different. The majority of the BQ’s money has come from corporations or lobbyists; the majority of Barack’s money has come from individual people. You pick. To turn your back on that and accept a crust of bread from the Missus is a slap in the face to all of us (especially the young voters) who have believed so intensely.
So, what do I think he should do? Win. I’ll be working all week in VA to help him do just that. If he doesn’t I think he should run for Governor of IL or do another Senate term and go for it again.

I’m sure I have no idea just how tempting a VP slot would be – I’m not sure the media has any idea just what kind of a test that would be for some voters.

18 Comments:

Susan said...

Is it wrong I'm debating moving to Canada is the elections turn out a certain way? I fear for this country.

NoRegrets said...

That's the first time I've seen her referred to as the Borg Queen, and it so fits. I have to figure out a way to vote in my home state despite that fact that I will be out of town Tuesday and on an airplane. (going skiing in Utah)

WNG said...

Susan - I've been thinking about it for 8 years. I hear Vancouver is a great city!

NoR - You can call your local elction commission or I'm sure you can find out how to do it online somewhere. Good luck with the voting AND the skiing!

And..um... I stole the Borg Queen name from the commenters over at Field Negro's blog. It's just sooo perfect!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Wow. We could all end up in Vancouver.

I am also distressed and shocked when people state that they would be fine with either of them. I.would.not.

If BQ gets elected, we will have 32 years of presidents from TWO families, the Bushes and the Clintons. Does that not reek of the most obscene kind of nepotism?

I am so disappointed that NY, my home state (and NOT Hilary's) and California, where I now live, went to her. And that so many women voted for her because she's (ostensibly) one, too.

There is work to be done. As Obama said, "we are the change we want."

Jay said...

My biggest problem with Vancouver is that it's too expensive. I'm thinking that I might move to Mexico. Especially if a republican is elected. At least there life won't change much when the world economy collapses.

I know it would be incredibly tempting to take the VP slot if offered, but I hope he turns it down. There is no reason for Obama to trust the Clintons.

They'll make all kinds of promises. They'll promise him a "seat at the table" as they say and will promise to have him heading up major initiatives like Bill did for Al.

But, they'll renege on those promises. This is going to be all about Billary. Bill will be the one they send all over the place and they will NEVER allow anyone other than Hillary to get ANY credit.

Obama will be treated as hired help in a Hillary administration.

WNG said...

Hearts - Thank you. I felt bad screaming at Diane Sawyer this morning...well, not too bad...
oh, and obscene is the perfect word for it.

Jay - we could all buy a big house together and split the mortgage! Of course our money would go farther in Mexico...hmm...
you're right - he'd only be trotted out when we had a problem in Africa. I just hope he knows that.

His Sinfulness said...

I hate to say this, but I don't think a vice presidential slot is really an issue for either of them. I predict that whichever one of them comes out on top will seek to balance out the ticket. Alas, that means turning to a white man (Edwards, possibly) as a running mate.

WNG said...

I'm fine with that, Pater, b/c I really don't want him to have anything to do with her. She would have to find someone to bring in the white males, because right now they're pretty strongly in the Obama camp. I think he'd probably ask Edwards and the reason Edwards hasn't made an endorsement yet may be to keep his VP options open.

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

I have never cared so very much about the outcome of primaries than now. I am a (whispers) Republican usually, but for much different reasons than the Republicans that are running associate themselves with that party. I will vote Democrat if Obama is my choice, but I will not vote for Hillary. I'm not sure who I will vote for if Hillary gets the nomination because I don't like the choices my party have left me with, either. Maybe we'll end up with a third party president;>

meno said...

Resistence is futile, you will be assimilated!

I guess i look at it a different way. If, and i rather doubt this will happen, but if Obama took the VP thing, wouldn't that be a positive step towards the presidency?

He's (thank god) young enough to be around for a while.

guerreiranigeriana said...

bloggers don't get interviewed for those street surveys because we're inside the house, at the desk blogging;)...if i was voting, at this point, i'd rather vote republican than for that bitch clinton...

WNG said...

Woo Woo - It's ok, I have cousins who have gone over to the "R" side. But they voted for Obama, in MA. I honestly don't know how I'll vote if BQ gets the nomination, but I'd be looking seriously at a third party option.

Meno - I know what you mean but I think he could actually be more effective as a Governor or Senator. Plus, I'm really not kidding when I say I would see it as a betrayal of the hope and change he promises us. When I say change I don't mean time warp to 92

Guerre - Whoa there, let's not drive over the cliff Thelma. Although I might have to think about that for the first time, seriously. And even if I voted third party it would effectively be a vote for the "R"s. Still, the thought of her as representing me to the world make me physically ill.

guerreiranigeriana said...

lol @ your response...

heartinsanfrancisco said...

If Obama was VP, Hillary would trivialize him and take away every last vestige of traditional power, if any, that office bestows.

If she became Barack's VP, she would discredit him, make every issue about her and probably arrange to have him assassinated.

I can't see either of those scenarios working out if she is one of the parties.

WNG said...

Well, Hearts, there really isn't much I can see working out anywhere if she is one of the parties. Of course, I'm a little biased...
It's looking good in VA, we're all working hard so maybe we won't have to invest in Canaian real estate just yet. Here's some news: since Feb 5th Obama has raised a little over $7mil...without writing checks to himself. $25.00 of that was from me:)

Susan said...

Are you just posting every other day now, lady?

WNG said...

Yeah,I'm such a slacker :)
Seriously, I'm crazy busy - I keep stealing seconds to answer comments, but that's all I got today kiddo!

NoRegrets said...

Go see Susan's blog for a PHOTO of herself.