Wednesday, March 5

Goodbye Brett


Well, shit Brett.
Too many people play the game like a job and you never did. Too many people try to hide or whitewash their imperfections, ignore the blessings they have been given and the ones who haven’t been so blessed. I’m not a Brett Favre fan because of the records he’s broken or the Super Bowl ring or the Pro Bowls or the Conference Titles. I’m a fan because in a time when there are fewer and fewer sportsmen and more and more businessmen he played football with the single-minded intensity and pure joy of a child who somehow made it to the big leagues and could never get over his luck. I’m a fan because after his own struggles with drugs and alcohol he took others under his wing and helped them save their careers and families. I’m a fan because he had magic in his hands and an infectious smile. Because no one, sometimes not even he, could make some of those throws but damn if it wasn’t fun to watch him try.






I’ll never get to see you play at Lambeau. I’ll never get to see you win a Super Bowl in person. No more will I get to yell, “Damnit Brett what was that?!” at my TV on a Sunday afternoon. Do you have any idea how many possible inflections there are for that shout? My neighbors do. No more victory laps around the living room when you take a Lambeau leap. No more laughing out loud when you pick up receivers and sling them over your shoulders after a touchdown. No more feeling like I’m watching one of the playground games in the park – just with uniforms. No one plays the game like you did, with skill, guts and pure joy. I remember the season when your father died and you broke your thumb and I saw some of the most amazing plays in the history of the game. I remember the seasons when it seemed nothing could go right. I remember you calling a fan down from the stands in Charlotte because she had cheered so loudly during the game that you could hear her on the field. Thanks for that, Brett. Thanks for all of it.

11 Comments:

Susan said...

I read about this happening and was like "who..will be my Brett now??"

I think you understand what I'm saying.

Jay said...

I was shocked ... SHOCKED ... to see that he is retiring. I thought he had another year in him easily, maybe two.

WNG said...

I'm wearing black today guys, head to toe. A little dramatic? Sure, but not as much as wearing my jersey and workout pants to bed last night and sleeping under my packer blanket. Yes,it is THAT BAD.

Big Man said...

I understand you are riding for Brett, but I could never get behind dude because of the fawning of the media. Dude was nice, but he got too big of a pass from the press.

NoRegrets said...

I have the attention span of a gnat today, so can't read the whole post, but of course get the gist. He deserves to retire - he worked hard. Not sure what the packers will do without him, but we'll see.

Thanks for your notes of support...btw.

WNG said...

Big Man - It's your first time commenting and I get all excited and then you gotta' go and say that. I have my own issues with the sports media, but NICE? Are you kidding??? You can't come up with a better word than NICE??? You're breaking my heart...

NoR - The support is free. For not reading the whole post you owe me a quilt :)

The CEO said...

You are quite right, as usual, it is a joy to watch a naturally gifted person utilize their talent when they do it with joy and zeal! Brett Farve will undoubtedly be inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame, and it will be well deserved. I assume you will attend his induction at Canton, Ohio in five years.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Awww, I feel your pain. It will be exciting to see what this all-around great guy does next with his considerable talents which have a much wider range than throwing a football.

And yeah, he's very cute.

WNG said...

CEO - I'll be the one in yellow and green face paint with the huge sign begging for marriage. I'm so classy and subtle.

Hearts- That's what everyone keeps telling me so I guess I have to stop moping now...as long as he doesn't turn into Terry Bradshaw I'll be fine.
And...um...YES he is!

Big Man said...

If you read Sport On My Mind, you'll see and interesting discussion of where Favre ranks in the pantheon of great quarterbacks in the league.

I think Favre had awesome physical ability and courage, but he failed to maximize his talent by putting in the hard work in the offseason and in the film room. His positive reputation as a gunslinger was an example of media bias in my mind because he was regularly excused for making the same mistakes that other people were castigated for.

I can't support that.

WNG said...

Big Man - I'll check it out. The risks he took drove me bat shit crazy whether they worked or not and led to many sore throats and cracked voices on Monday mornings. I don't read sports media, so I can only speak to personal feelings which I'm sure you've heard enough of :)In five years I'll be making the trek to the NFL HoF to see him inducted no matter what the sportswriters have said.