Friday, March 21

smiling faces, beautiful places



I was going to write a post on ‘Black Anger’ the Rev Wright and the ignorant idiocy of the MSM, but this morning I heard the words ‘South Carolina Highway Patrol’ on the national news and my blood ran cold, then flashed hot.
It seems that some SCHP officers have been running down suspects on foot with their patrol cars. Apparently speeding is now subject to police vigilantism in SC. Before it was mentioned on the news I knew that all the officers were white and all the victims were black. Not only because it was my home state, but because that’s pretty much the way it goes in America. Now, they’ll tell you that this is not a systemic problem and that the issue has been taken care of. The officers were reprimanded, which one of them is appealing and no one has been fired, although some have resigned. What little outrage there is comes from the Black community.
So: why might we be angry?
The Governor and top state law enforcement officials are not outraged that their officers are running down citizens. They are not outraged that these men are defaming the department, the State and the very idea of ‘serve and protect’. It doesn’t seem to bother them beyond the fact that it is making news at the beginning of the tourist season.
I wonder why.
I wonder why the only kidnapping victims the country gets obsessed about are white.
I wonder why there are such disparities between crack and powder cocaine mandatory minimums.
I wonder why Black parents have to have such different conversations with their young children about the police than white parents.
I wonder why so many of our young men are in jail or cemeteries.
I wonder why white people voting for a black candidate is ‘post racial politics’ and black people voting for a white candidate isn’t.
I wonder why HIV/AIDS is rising faster among Black women than all other groups combined and no one is talking about it.
I wonder why black men being run down by police cars isn’t shocking.
I honestly wonder how anyone could be surprised that there is anger when I could have continued that list for days.
Now, my life has been charmed by anyone’s standards. I never wanted for physical or emotional comforts. I am educated and I have a job, apartment and car. I am healthy and compared to most people on the planet with my skin tone remarkably wealthy. I AM ANGRY. Any Black person who tells you they aren’t angry is a liar or a fool. Am I angry at the entire white race? No, don’t be stupid.
I am however, outraged at all of us. We sit still for this and end up debating whether a certain senator threw his grandmother under a bus by telling the truth in a speech he never would have had to give if he was white. What do we do? Raise our children with integrity and strength. Show your patriotism by trying to live up to the words in our Declaration and Constitution. Serve our communities the best we can and hold our government officials accountable for the rights of all our citizens.
Oh – and try not to speed in South Carolina…

12 Comments:

Susan said...

Don't speed in Virginia either..trust me on that one.


G, I'd like to say something that goes along with your post but I have nothing today. I just want to say hope you have a good weekend and smile, woman. :)

WNG said...

No worries, Susan,I'm working on the good day part.

Big Man said...

that's some foul shit. I"m starting to believe that the police are capable of anything.

WNG said...

Big Man - I know some Chucktown cops even they think that the staties cross the line on the regular. When the blue line starts to buckle you know there's something seriously wrong.

Jay said...

It's bad enough that the average cop out there is an authoritarian prick on a power a trip, but when you ad the racism and homophobia and bigotry and everything else to it, it's a very scary situation.

WNG said...

You should run for Governor of SC, Jay.

NoRegrets said...

I wrote a comment and it didn't show up. pout.

WNG said...

Love you anyway, NoR, pout and all.

guerreiranigeriana said...

yeah, those fools are to serve and protect...but it ain't 'us' they are charged to serve and protect...that's f-in crazy!!!...i try to stay the f away from them, even in the so-called name of help!...frankly, i'd rather take my chances with the street thugs than the government certified thugs [police]...

...i'm planning a rites of passage program and was talking to a couple friends i'd like to enlist to do workshops...one who is studying law said she'd be interested in discussing what to do if stopped by the police and your rights...how sad that you have to educate our youth on how to deal with the police...not thugs/gangsters/pick-pockets, but the motherfin police...so ass-backwards!!!...

The CEO said...

That will NOT happen in Maryland. I know Doug Gansler, the Attorney General of Maryland. I gave him money to run. I guarantee you, that behavior will not be tolerated under Gansler.

I am not Star Jones said...

i'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.

what's next for this country?

WNG said...

G- It's something that's been taught in my family, and I think in many other Black american families all over the country. It pisses me off that it has to be done, but we can't take a chance with our children's lives.
I know too many cops to write them all off - but eve that is tempting sometimes.
CEO-It shouldn't be happening anywhere, Monty, but I'm glad you have faith in Gansler, hopefully it's well placed.
Star- Me too, kid, me too. As to what we do - I don't know besides keep working, keep voting, keep hoping.