Tuesday, April 29

a certain kind of somethin


One of the many reasons I love my grocery store is that there is a mini bookstore at the front. Mostly it’s just bestsellers and magazines, but I like that they make an effort. There’s also a Starbucks. Most days it’s hard for me to pass by a Starbucks and today was no different. I’m walking through the doors and I see them – quite possibly the most attractive men I’ve seen in a long time. A. Long. Time.
Maybe it was the reflected book glory…but I doubt it. Let me explain some things to you. I don’t have a type. I’ve lived in enough places and come from such a multicultural family that if you’re attractive I’ll probably find you attractive. Unless you’re Tony Parker – I just don’t get that. Moving on – I have lived in the South long enough to have developed a taste for a rare type of southern man; we’ll call him the southern warrior-poet. The SWP drives a truck, usually a big one and it’s generally for work. He works in construction or as a landscaper, mechanic or something else that some look at as dirty work and others as art. He has muscles that don’t come from a gym. He reads. A lot. Maybe he went to college, maybe he finished or didn’t, some of them own the small business, some just work there but they all read constantly. They are all races – well, I’ve never met an Asian SWP, but there’s probably at least one out there somewhere. Oddly enough every Black SWP I’ve met has ridden a Harley, but I’m guessing it’s not a requirement. They’re usually quiet guys and in my experience they play some kind of instrument. They aren’t the type to take you out for French food but will probably help you try to cook it at home. When people say Southern Gentleman they usually think of some Rhett Butler type. I think of these men who can say ma’am in a way that makes your spine tingle, love their mothers and still open doors.
As I’ve said – they’re very rare. Sighting two of them, together, in the grocery store was almost more than my little heart could take. They were looking, I was looking…it was a good morning. As I walked outside I noticed the two Verizon trucks in the lot – they kind with the extendable arms and baskets on the back. I resisted the urge to look inside them – yeah; I’m nosy like that. The guys walked out. More eye action and smiles along with a sigh from me as they swung into their trucks.
As I pulled into my parking space at work I realized that Verizon is our new neighbor. Hmmm…

15 Comments:

NoRegrets said...

Oh, you should have looked inside the basket! It would have started a conversation! And maybe you could have gotten free internet service. :-)

WNG said...

I am thinking about getting their broadband card for my new laptop.

I'm just waiting for Susan to come along and make something dirty out of that sentence :)

Doc said...

Yes Ma'am.....

slag said...

I don't think these men really exist. Like leprechauns...and bears.

WNG said...

I think you're dangerous, Doc...

I swear they do, Slag. And they're better than vodka. You know me - I NEVER say that.

Jay said...

They're probably gay.

LOL

Kidding. Kinda.

Okay, it's just my jealousy talking. It takes over sometimes. ;-)

WNG said...

Of course it does, Jay. You're secretly in love with me. It's ok. Most people are.

Jay said...

I didn't know it was such a secret. LOL ;-)

Susan said...

I'm rising above "hard drive" comments.

The CEO said...

Why do you want a 55 megabit card when you can get wired at 100 megabits, ma'aaaaaaaaaaaaaam? U shore do look fine in that short skirt. And I have the mango vodka right here, ma'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam.

WNG said...

Just know that you aren't alone, Jay. There's a support group...

That's just no fun, Susan. None at all.

Ok, Monty, cut it out - you're making me blush.

Doc said...

I think you're dangerous, Doc...



Heee Heee !!

WNG said...

Oh good Lord!
*throws up her hands*

Gye Greene said...

Never knew about type -- but I can envision it. Interesting.

Q: Who would play this type in a movie? Harrison Ford (younger, though; in real life, used to be a carpenter!)? Brad Pitt? Robert Redford (again, younger)? Denzel Washington?


I had to Google that basketball player guy you mentioned. A good lookin' bloke.


--GG

WNG said...

Good question, Gye, I'll have to get back to you on who would play them... this is going to be fun :)