Wednesday, April 9

change of heart


I can’t get the female soldiers from my last post out of my head. I have done everything in my power and will continue to do everything I can think of to agitate for these women and get others to join me. Parts of my thoughts are always with them and yet the days roll on and life goes on.
Books are a huge part of that life. One of my favorite authors is Jodi Picoult and I finished her latest last night. I always find something directly relevant to my life in her novels as well as something to think about but this one struck a deeper chord with me. I always feel strange trying to talk about her work because there are always multiple stories running parallel and raising conflicting questions throughout – it’s one of the things I love about it and one of the things that make discussions so hard. In a novel it is much simpler to present multiple sides of an idea than it is in a blog post…
What it comes down to for me is a question of sin, redemption and belief. What do I believe? How do my beliefs inform my actions and my relation to the world? What is divinity?
I do not know what I believe. I do know that I am searching and learning. I know that as I move through this world I am trying to work on the side of light against the darkness. I know that at times when I truly need them words of hope and inspiration come to me in many forms. I know that they always leave behind more questions.

12 Comments:

NoRegrets said...

That is SO weird that you write about a JP book today! I have not read that one, and will need to do so. My Sister's Keeper was so expertly crafted. I think I was less impressed with 19 minutes because it had a love story in it. Kind of a silly reason, since love is a part of life, but there you go.

Susan said...

I don't know what I believe either. I don't know what I want in life anymore. I'm just going through each day and getting a step closer to it..

WNG said...

NoR - JP fans unite!!! I like a love story - as long as it's fiction.

Susan - trying to figure it out is most of the point, I think. We'll be ok, kiddo!

Susan said...

I love a love story no matter truth or fiction.


Oh god...when did she come back..that romantic Susan..DOWNgirlDOWN.

I'm bored at work, can you tell?

NoRegrets said...

I have a good book on faith - comparing/contrasting Christianity, Muslim, and Judaism. It was really interesting.

WNG said...

She's blooming for birthday month and spring, Susan. Say hello and welcome her back :)

That's ok NoR, don't tell me the title...you just keep that to yourself...it's cool...

Susan said...

You've unleashed a monster, g. See the blog. ;)

Big Man said...

G

You're getting everybody thinking about faith and belief. Good for you.

The CEO said...

when i find myself in times of trouble, mother mary comforts me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be, let it be.....

oooops, wrong day. happy birthmonth

left handed typing, sorry

WNG said...

That is one of my favorite lines from my favorite songs, so it's ALWAYS the right day!

slag said...

Thanks for the book recommendation! It's always good to hear about new stuff. Your belief questions are ones that people don't ask enough. Especially in terms of how beliefs are followed through with action. Sometimes it's next to impossible, given the constraints of our current world, to live beliefs through action. Always trying to navigate the system to do the least harm and the most good can be a full time job. We need to create a world that encourages good (rather than one that discourages it).

WNG said...

YES!
But how? I'm trying to focus on my little corner of the world and trust to the ripple affect, but it doesn't feel like enough to me. I'll figure something out eventually. In the meantime it's a comfort that I'm not the only one asking these questions.