Thursday, April 24

DFTL: My Ass Edition


It's Thursday, so here's your DFTL!!!

I walked out of the terminal with my garment bag slung across one shoulder and my small suitcase another. I stood in the rain clutching my carry on looking like pink and white polka dotted baggage had beat me up and then I set off. The desire to be home and in my own bed was the only thing keeping me moving, one foot in front of the other across the short term lot and over to long term. The sole of my right boot had come off in Chicago but I wore them anyway, certain it would be fine until I could get it resoled. Whatever substance the heel was made of scraped against the wet pavement, slipping a bit with each step. I adjusted my gait and lumbered on – thinking of the clothes I hadn’t worn, but had believed I needed and how goddamn heavy they were.
It must have been a pebble; some smooth round stone that caught between the heel of my shoe and the soaked and slippery asphalt and sent me flying into the air like a cartoon character. I landed on my right ass cheek and my baggage landed on me. As I tried to untangle myself I slipped again and came down hard on my left shoulder. After a car packed with people drove by I let out a string of sobbing curses that would have made a lobsterman proud, hobbled to my car and went home.
Now, in honor, of my black, green, yellow, purple and blue shoulder, back and butt here is this week’s Don’t Forget The Lyrics: My Ass Edition:

The more you near your destination the more you’re slip sliding away.

Falling, yes I am falling…

Do you really want to hurt me?

Funny how in dreams your feet never touch the earth…

What’s your name, my name is pain…

You start at the top, go full circle round, catch a breeze take a spill

But ending up where I started again makes me wanna stand still

6 Comments:

NoRegrets said...

Are you a good bruise maker? A friend of mine and I used to have a competition, since with climbing you tend to get bruises in weird spots. Who could have the biggest, most colorful one...

Sorry Charlie... hope you feel better.

WNG said...

Not usually, NoR, but now that my butt looks like a pinot noir grape I may have to rethink that.
How long do bruises like this last anyway?!?!?

NoRegrets said...

Welllll... it varies on the individual of course! couple weeks...

tagged.

and the word verification really doesn't do anything. I've had MAYBE one spam comment since taking off the word verification...

WNG said...

ouch...

The CEO said...

Take off the anonymous poster and you won't have any machine spam.

WNG said...

Thanks!