Friday, April 25

a night off


Sometimes I just need a break. I realize that there are important things going on in the world right now. I spend most of my nights working either politically or charitably to change my little corner of the universe and it generally fills me with a sense of pride and wards off the helplessness that so many people feel that I really can’t understand.
Sometime though, all I want is Taco Bell and a new Robert Tanenbaum novel. It generally lasts for about a week, this escapism and I am at the tail end of it…a girl can only talk politics with her papa for so long before she has a reaction.
Last night I finished Escape, by RKT. I’ve been reading him for years and have literally read every book he’s written. A few years ago Mama G scoured the Internet and used bookstores and filled in all the holes in my collection for Christmas and since then I haven’t missed one. The thing I hate about books is that they end. No matter how great the ending is I get a tad depressed – mostly because of myriad undiagnosed mental problems. So a series that stretches for over 20 years is pretty much perfect for me. I like the fact that picking up each new book is like calling an old friend and asking, “So, what’s been going on?”
There are a couple of pages in the beginning that get a little preachy – I only noticed because I didn’t agree – but he cuts that out soon enough and moves back into his wheelhouse, which is fun, convoluted legal thrills with a healthy dose of religious curiosity and mysticism thrown in. Tanenbaum nails New York and always has, throughout all of its changes. All the favorite characters are back as the Karp-Ciampi clan once again saves New York with the help of a Black detective, and Italian ADA, the Russian Mob, a rogue FBI agent, a Jesuit priest, a Native American policeman, a Vietnamese gangster, the ‘Mole People’, their daughter (who talks to a Saint) and their twin boys (one of whom was blinded by a bullet a couple books ago) and assorted mastiffs and other large dogs. Ned, the cowboy, is absent – he’s training to be a Navy Seal. No, seriously.
If you’re going to read the books I really would suggest starting at the first one. In each successive book the relevant back-story is explained, you just get so much more out of it if you already know, you know?
This is not a review (obviously), more of an endorsement, I guess. The next time you need an Escape, try picking it up in the form of a book.

12 Comments:

Doc said...

Mmmmmm Taco Bell !!

WNG said...

Nachos Bell Grande, doc. That's my weakness.
yummmm

Jay said...

I haven't read any of Tanenbaum's stuff. I recently got on a James Lee Burke kick and read a number of his books. Maybe this guy will have to be my next kick.

I always get a bean burrito and nachos at Taco Bell.

The CEO said...

This is a "hit and run hug" because I'm working but felt like it. So I haven't read the post yet.

{{{G}}}

WNG said...

It's worth a read, Jay. I'll have to check out Burke :)

It's ok to have a crush on me Monty - it happens to everyone eventually :)
Hugs back!!!

slag said...

The fact that you do all that good work is inspiring. Per Jane Austen, "I admire the activity of your benevolence." Also, indulge! It's your birth month.

NoRegrets said...

Ok, I will try per your recommendation...

WNG said...

I have to, slag, or i'd go nutty.
cough
MORE nutty. plus, I have no life.
I am enjoying my birth month - I'm being a total slacker and loving it!

Have I ever steered you wrong, NoR? Then again...there's a first time for everything... I'll send you a box of books if you want :)

NoRegrets said...

Never driven with you. ha...
Don't tempt me on the box of books... I'd take them. Of course, no address to send them to! :-)

WNG said...

I'll send them to your car :)

Mayren said...

Sorry I missed it G.
Happy Birthday!

WNG said...

Thanks Mayren!!! Miss you! I'll come bug you soon :)