Friday, May 2

bad moon rising


On Monday afternoon at 4:15 during a day of high winds and intermittent storms came ten seconds of weather that would change Hampton Roads forever. The tornado touched down about 15 miles from my apartment. No one that I know was hurt, although a friend did have some damage to her house. Still, I’ve been collecting just about anything that people will donate to take to the Red Cross; clothes, food, money, household items, kids toys…anything. I’m not the only one, either. One radio station raised over $30,000 in a day, which was then matched by a Lipton Iced Tea (they’re packing plant is in Suffolk). People have been taking extra long lunches or days off to volunteer to help complete strangers. This isn’t the first time that I’ve seen how a community pulls together after a natural disaster, I’ve lived through a couple, but each time it happens it fills me with hope and strength and a disdain for the petty. I’m not the only one. The City of Suffolk has been pretty great in acting quickly to set up resource centers and organize services for people, there are shuttles running through the neighborhoods affected and all the schools were back open yesterday. The news is full of feel good stories: a dog found under a house three blocks away from its’ owners and returned, things like that.
They aren’t reporting the lootings. People are sneaking in to these neighborhoods at night and ripping copper wire out of appliances, taking air bags out of damaged cars, and making off with anything else that they can carry. The police are starting night patrols, but so are the residents. I won’t get into exactly how base you would have to be to steal from someone who has just literally had their life torn apart – all I’ll say is that you really don’t want these devastated people wandering around with guns trying to protect what little is left. This is a recipe for disaster; take one part Suffolk City PD on night patrol in the ‘wasteland’, one part former house owner now living with entire family in hotel room but driving back to house to guard it - with shotgun, and one part idiot out to make some money off the devastation and stir. Some bad shit’s going to happen, folks. You can feel it on the wind.

10 Comments:

NoRegrets said...

Oh wow, I didn't realize you were down there near where that all happened. So sorry!
I'd be one of those people with a shotgun, or anything to hurt anyone who tried taking more from me than nature had already taken.

WNG said...

I get what you mean, NoR. I just hope that no one gets hurt.
Hurt any more than they have been.

The CEO said...

I have Thanked God that you are OK. I have made a donation to the Red Cross. Stay safe.

Jay said...

I'm glad the tornado missed you. Close call!

Yeah, that is definitely a recipe for disaster. Hope people will exercise some good judgment.

We had a huge storm here last night ourselves. Trees down all around the area and there might have been a tornado just north of town. Some dead livestock and even a few deer have been found alone a state highway.

It could have been a lightning strike too. That happens sometimes, since the animals tend to gather all in one spot in big storms.

WNG said...

Monty - thank you. have a great weekend - eat some spicy tuna for me!

Jay- thanks sweetie, I hope everyone's ok down by you, too. That's so sad about the animals, but I can understand it - coming together when you're scared...

Big Man said...

I don't think too much will happen. People always worryt that there will be widespread looting after tornadoes (and I've covered a few) but most of the time there are only a few idiots. And the police usually catch them because they look suspicious.

WNG said...

There's already been looting, that's why they're instituting a curfew and stepping up police presence - I'm worried that the people going out to protect their property and the police will end up shooting each other, or some other kind of accident.

slag said...

It's weird that even when it just rains or is a little chilly here, I often think how glad I am to have a home to keep me warm and dry. What an upending experience it must be to suddenly lose that.

Stay safe!

NoRegrets said...

Too much tequila?

WNG said...

Slag - I know exactly what you mean.

NoR - migraine, but thanks for checking up!