Thursday, May 29

a cry for

Sometimes even the G has a crap day. Sometimes they bleed into crap weeks and no amount of vodka can stop it. Sometimes it’s a little too much. What do I do during those times? I watch the West Wing on DVD. I still don’t have the series boxed set (hint, hint, minions) but I do what I can with what I have. Angel Maintenance is one of my favorite episodes, so here are some quotes for you…

TOBY: Yeah, but the fact that this is immediate. I mean to say, the mass slaughter of tens of thousands of Africans-- mostly young men-- which calls for...
RICHARDSON: I understand what it... You ever been to a maximum-security prison?
TOBY: Maximum? No.
RICHARDSON: It's the black kids who are doing the dying there, too.
TOBY: The lives we're saving in Kuhndu-- and I agree...
RICHARDSON: I wasn't elected by the lives we're saving in Kuhndu. I was elected by the lives that are doing the saving.
TOBY: But you agree there ar moral imperatives?
RICHARDSON: Well, if there are moral imperatives, then you've got to tell me we are going to get everybody. Beginning with the Saudis.
TOBY: Mark, obviously, we need votes from the Black Caucus next week. Are you telling me it isn't in the vested interest of Black America?
RICHARDSON: It is in the vested interest of working-class America-- black, latino and yes, even white-- to be able to choose between more than a McDonald's uniform and a Marine uniform.
TOBY: And how is opposing the peacekeeping bill at Brookings going to achieve...?
RICHARDSON: I'm not opposing the peacekeeping bill. In fact, the whole Black Caucus is going to stand behind it, but with a proposed amendment.
TOBY: Doing what?
RICHARDSON: Reinstating the draft. I think the kids in my district are going to live longer if their fortunes are tied a little more closely to the fortunes of the kids in Josh Lyman's district.
TOBY: You want to draft a million middle-class kids out of spite?
RICHARDSON: Well, I don't want to draft anybody out of anything. I'm just trying to promote somepatriotic unity.

Oh – I’m not done yet, there’s more. This is for Hairy Harry and The Duke, who never came home.

FADE IN: EXT. PORTICO - NIGHT Leo is out on the portico smoking a cigarette. Toby exits through the Outer Oval Office and approaches Leo.

TOBY: What are you doing?
LEO: Hey.
TOBY: What are you doing?
LEO: Did OMB have anything?
TOBY: Budget didn't have anything Mark wants. He can call OMB himself. Leo, let's say we study...
LEO: Come on.
TOBY: Study some version of his amendment.
LEO: We'll look ridiculous.
TOBY: It's not ridiculous.
LEO: It's a stunt.
TOBY: It is, but it's not ridiculous. We say we're going to study the draft and...
LEO: There's never going to be a draft.
TOBY: Mark knows that. He wants the debate. We want our peacekeeping appropriation. Everybody's happy.
LEO: Hardly anybody's happy. The President's going to study reinstating... We're for peacekeeping in Kuhndu.
TOBY: And Mark's point is who keeps the...
LEO: I know what Mark's point is.
TOBY: People who got nowhere else to go...
LEO: For advancement, they go for advancement.
TOBY: The five guys on their way home right now in body bags... didn't advance very far, I think is Mark's point.

15 Comments:

Susan said...

Some lyrics for you:

calling all angels
calling all angels
walk me through this one
don't leave me alone
calling all angels
calling all angels
we're cryin' and we're hurtin'
and we're not sure why...


Its almost like the hard times circle round
A couple drops and they all start coming down
Yeah, I might feel defeated,
I might hang my head
I might be barely breathing - but Im not dead

Tomorrows another day
And Im thirsty anyway
So bring on the rain

Susan said...

Two different songs. It stripped some of my code. I feel violated.

Flynn said...

[hug]

Doc said...

hope your day gets better G

WW was a good show...

WNG said...

Thank you for the lyrics, Susan. You had me reaching for my iPod. And I know how much you like to do the stripping yourself, sorry you 'got stripped'.

Hugs right back at ya' Flynn! Thank you. Flynn hugs are (almost) better than coffee!

Doc - repeat after me, "The West Wing was one of the TOP 5 TV SHOWS EVER!!!"
I hope my day gets better too - I'm trying, I promise.

NoRegrets said...

Lyrics from me:

And she walked away in silence,
It's strange, how you never know,
But we'd both gotten what we'd asked for,
Such a long, long time ago.
You see, she was gonna be an actress
And I was gonna learn to fly.
She took off to find the footlights,
And I took off for the sky.
And here, she's acting happy,
Inside her handsome home.
And me, I'm flying in my taxi,
Taking tips, and getting stoned


Also:

Not a night goes by
I don't dream of wandering
Through the home that might have been (which isn't me, really)

Susan said...

I like nor's lyrics.

WNG said...

So do I, Susan.
A lot.

NoRegrets said...

Thanks! Harry Chapin and Dixie Chicks.

Susan, have you seen the movie that that first song is in? Until the End of the World. Wim Wenders.
At least I think it's in that one.

WNG said...

I knew the Dixie Chicks one :) Now I'm going to have to find that movie.
Project!!!

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

OMG I do that to, watch DVD TV!! Depending on the shade of my blue I watch my SATC box set or Gray's Anatomy (mix of DVD and DVR episodes).

After losing a really close girlfriend to trife, my BFF sat down and watched SATC together the entire season. It was part of us mourning that our friend wasn't part of our fab four because she was not who she said she was.

Anyway West Wing that's a good one I might have to add it to my in case I'm Blue List of DVDs!

-OG

The CEO said...

I love Harry Chapin a lot, and West Wing. Things have been pretty shitty lately, haven't they. Things will get better, wait and see!

WNG said...

OG - Whatever works for you (you've got good ones) but I personally think everyone could use more WW in their lives!

It will CEO, it has to.

slag said...

The West Wing is always the place to go for an optimism check. In November, the real West Wing will be that place to go. If we all do our duties, that is. Keep on keepin on, wng.

WNG said...

I'm on it! I'll be doing GOTV on the 7th and 8th all over Hampton Roads :)