Tuesday, May 6

did you see that


It happens every week. Even though I’ve already talked to her earlier that day, even though she tells me explicitly not to do it. It still happens. I’ll sit there trying not to pick up the phone. I’ll make it until a commercial comes on and then it’s, ‘ Oh my god, mommy, did you see that?!’, or ‘I know I say that we’re crazy, but we are so much more normal than these people'.
I watch Brothers & Sisters with my mom every Sunday night. Wherever we are and whatever we’re doing if there’s a new episode on we’re watching it and calling each other about it. See, I got my love of soap from Mama G. We watched General Hospital when I was in the womb and I remember hiding behind the couch well after my bedtime watching LA Law and Dallas over her shoulder. So, Brothers & Sisters with its plot twists and camp is the perfect show for us. We each have our favorites, we take sides, and we argue their points. She likes the kids depending on what they're doing – I pull for Justin and Rebecca no matter what. She’s content to ride the roller coaster – I am forever making predictions and sending gloating text messages when they come true.
This is one of my favorite parts of my relationship with Mama G. Maybe it’s a little Fievel of me but I like knowing that we’re doing the same thing at the same time no matter how far apart we are. I like that the same things push our buttons and make us reach for the phone. It cracks me up when she picks up the phone with “I knew you would call after that…”
My favorite thing is when, after saying no more calls that night and good-night and I love you, when after all that something huge happens and my phone rings: Mama G is calling me.

18 Comments:

NoRegrets said...

That is indeed nice...

WNG said...

:-)

NoRegrets said...

My mom can't think after 7 pm, so I'd never be able to do that. I do call her when I'm at yard sales, and she gets excited by that.

WNG said...

We drunk dial each other as well, but it's not the same :)

Jay said...

The only shows that my mother and I both watch are The Shield and Dexter. We come up withe some pretty crazy ideas about where they might be going. Sometimes we even get it right. haha ;-)

WNG said...

Wow Jay - bent cops and serial killers, you and your mom have the warm fuzzies down pat!

Susan said...

As if I didn't have a horrible luvr for you anyway, Fievel reference made my day.

WNG said...

I was wondering if anyone would get that...
I should have known :)

now


WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN YOUNG LADY?!

Susan said...

I love that movie. It, to this day, will make me cry during the song. "And even though I know how very far apart we are, it helps to think we might be wishing on the same bright star.." Wow, that kind of makes me sad to type it..

now...

I told you things got crazy here, woman! I wasn't kidding. They've calmed a bit but still a little nutty.

WNG said...

something is wrong with us, Susan, we're super sappy.
Ok, fine, use the crazy busy excuse...
:)
glad you're back - nutty or not!

The CEO said...

I like the Fievel reference too. It was simply perfect.

I thought of you while we were gone. I even mentioned that you might come to DC. Just starting a rumor, but it's one I like!

James Burnett said...

WNG, nice post. Made me wanna call my mom. Funny thing is I believe she's in Cavalier Manor right now, visiting my grandma.

WNG said...

Mind over matter, CEO, you keep saying it and it might happen :)

So call them BOTH, JB! Or get your butt back up here and visit. Mama G will be here for Mem Day - we can all hang out :)

NoRegrets said...

Your head still hurting?

WNG said...

YES.
I'm trying to not think about scary words like 'drug interaction' because battling the pain has turned into my own personal war.


Not that I'm complaining or anything...

Gye Greene said...

I think it's really great you have that sort of relationship with your mom. My wife has almost that sort of relationship with hers. I totally don't with either of my parents (although we get along fine...).


--GG

slag said...

Are you plagiarizing phone company ads now? Either way, I think it's sweet!

WNG said...

No - but I don't have cable so I don't see as many ads as some people... am I?