Thursday, May 22

gone fishin'




Today is supposed to be ‘Don’t Forget the Lyrics’ day, but it’s my blog and I feel like talking about television. I don’t watch a lot of it. I don’t have cable or a remote control so when I turn on the television it’s either to watch something specific or for background noise as I clean my apt. There are, however, a few shows that I love and one of them was on last night. If you guessed American Idol please slap yourself in the face and deny yourself vodka for the rest of the day.
For each series there’s one episode that encapsulates ‘the point’ of the entire show for me. Last night’s Boston Legal did just that. James Spader and William Shatner were at the very top of their game. Their friendship was a living, sometimes wounded, thing – as was their love of country. It is sad that we sometimes find more honesty about what is happening in our country today in prime time television shows than we do on the news, but I am glad that Boston Legal is around in times like these. Yes, the trappings are sometimes ridiculous, but the heart is true. If you haven’t watched it in a while or if you’ve never watched it at all this final episode of the season is the one to watch.
On a more frustrating note - I have tried to post the BL theme song here (many, many times in many ways) - but nothing I do is working. So instead of kicking my computer or throwing things I'll just hum it in my head...

10 Comments:

Susan said...

This reminds me of the survey done awhile back that more people said they got their news from the daily show then nationwide news (abc, cnn, blah blah).

WNG said...

There's not a hell of a lot of truth in our news anymore, so I can understand that. The show has the leeway and the will to take an issue and have a debate on it, a full airing of both sides. That's rare. Even more rare - it doesn't turn into a soapbox or lose sight of the character arcs. Did I mention I'm a fan?

NoRegrets said...

There was recently an article about how spanish language news is 100 x better than english because they actually report news.

WNG said...

it's sad...we don't even expect our news to report the news anymore.

The CEO said...

In the old days, before my time, journalism was objective, that was the basic standard. Today, the news is slanted to a point of view, it is not objective, vis a vis Fox News. It's hard to know what actually happened.

WNG said...

That's why Al Gore invented the internet, CEO :)

slag said...

I've never seen the show. Sounds like it holds the same kind of relevance as West Wing did. Sadly, my internal television encyclopedia is about 8 years out of date. If it weren't for the internets, even Jon Stewart would be lost to me. Gotta love this series of tubes!

Gye Greene said...

Boston Legal; also the U.S. version of "The Office."

James Spader is my favorite (but also the William Shatner character).

Word salad. As an actor trying to memorize (and deliver convincingly) lines, that musta been **hard**.


Oh: and "Hands".


--GG

WNG said...

Yea for GG watching my show!!!

Slag - exactly!!! (to the WW reference). It's ok - I get all my cable stuff from the internets - it's just ABC that I watch on TV.

Lu' said...

Boston Legal is fantastic and I could kick myself in the ass for not seeing that episode. I suffer from serious C.R.S. and when I didn't think there was anything on, I went to bed early. Just shoot me, damn.