Tuesday, May 13

hope vs fear

*picture stolen from Some of Nothing...again*

Every morning, while I’m gulping my coffee and sorting through the stacks of papers on my desk I read my emails with one eye. There’s the usual assortment: God loves you and sent you this sparkly angel, why men are dumb, why blondes are dumb, super-incredible-amazing photographs, water bottles give you cancer, cell phones melt your brain cells, pass this to 15 people and you’ll see something so cool. Sometimes they make me chuckle or cringe and every once in a while they actually give my caffeine-addled brain something to ponder. I’m sure that there are more emails than I actually get. I don’t get the racial jokes or diatribes because that’s what it means to live in Post-Racial America; they make sure you don’t see it and you pretend they don’t think it. This was in my inbox this morning:

Judge for yourself.This is not original with me but it is scary..We may face some tough times ahead... Think long and hard before you vote..... I have felt for sometime now that Obama is the one person that 'Frightens Me'. I believe the Bible has warned us that 'A man will come from the East that will be charismatic in nature and have proposed solutions for all our problems and his rhetoric will attract many supporters!' When will our Nation quit turning its back on God and understand that this man is 'A Muslim'....First, Last and always....and we are AT WAR with the Muslim Nation, whether our bleeding-heart, secular, Liberal friends believe it or not. This man fits every description f rom the Bible of the 'Anti-Christ'! I'm glad to know that there are others that are frightened by this man! Semper Fid elis, Chuck 'Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, FraterInfinitas' 'Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever' - United States Marines - Who is Barack Obama? Very interesting and something that should be considered in your choice. If you do not ever forward anything else, please forward this to all your contacts...this is very scary to think of what lies ahead of us here in our own United States...better heed this and pray about it and share it. snopes.com ' confirms this is factual. Check for yourself. Who is Barack Obama? Probable U. S. presidential candidate, Barack Hussein Obam a was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Barack Hussein Obama, Sr., a black MUSLIM from Nyangoma-Kogel, Kenya and Ann Dunham, a whit e ATHEIST from Wichita , Kansas. Obama's parents met at the University of Hawaii . When Obama was two years old, his parents divorced. His father returned to Kenya . His mother then married Lolo Soetoro, a RADICAL Muslim from Indonesia . When Obama was 6 years old, the family relocate to Indonesia . Obama attended a MUSLIM school in Jakarta . He also spent two years in a Catholic school. Obama takes great care to conceal the fact that he is a Muslim. He is quick to point out that, 'He was once a Muslim, but that he also attended Catholic school.' Obama's political handlers are attempting to make it appear that that he is not a radical. Obama's introduction to Islam came via his father, and that this influence was temporary at best. In reality, the senior Obama returned to Kenya soon after the divorce, and never again had any direct influence over his son's education. Lolo Soetoro, the second husband of Obama's mother, Ann Dunham, introduced his stepson to Islam. Obama was enrolled in a Wahabi school in Jakarta . Wahabism is the RADICAL teaching that is followed by the Muslim terrorists who are now waging Jihad against the western world. Since it is politically expedient to be a CHRISTIAN when seeking major public office in the United States , Barack Hussein Obama has joined t he United Church of Christ in an attempt to downplay his Muslim background. ALSO, keep in mind that when he was sworn into office he DID NOT use the Holy Bible, but instead the Koran. Barack Hussein Obama will NOT recite the Pledge of Allegiance nor will he show any reverence for our flag. While others place their hands over their hearts, Obama turns his back to the flag and slouches. Do you want someone like this as your PRESIDENT? Let us all remain alert concerning Obama's expected presidential candidacy. The Muslims have said they plan on destroying the US from the inside out, what better way to start than at the highest level - through the President of the United States , one of their own! Please forward to everyone you know. Would you want this man leading our country?...... NOT ME!!!

He had sent it out to about ten people. I sent my reply to all of them, him and the person who had sent it to him (all coworkers). "Usually I'll pass on emails from you guys - you know we always end up sending them around and around the office. It's fun and sometimes you can even learn something new. This is not one of those times. This email is full of outright lies and slander. If you are interested in the truth about Barack Obama or his candidacy I'd be happy to share information with you. I'm not one to preach to people, especially at work, as you know - so I will just leave the door open." My reply feels completely inadequate to me. It feels like a betrayal of the work I have been doing for months to get this man that I believe in and admire elected President. I wanted to scream at them and I wanted to cry because it pains me that they could not see the racism and fear mongering that is so blatant to my eyes. I sit here no knowing that my reply would pass any inspection by any manager here who cared to read it. I sit here remembering how a voter in WV was asked on Good Morning America this morning if she would ever vote for Barack and how she said she could never vote for a Muslim.
I laughed then. I’m not laughing now.

17 Comments:

I am not Star Jones said...

Did the tard on GMA explain to this poor soul that if she bothered to actually read she would find out he's not a Muslim?

Okay the ignorance is infuriating but the perpetuation of the ignorance by people who should know better also enrages me.

Can we send the stupid Americans to help the people in Myanmar?

So they can learn something other than hate.

Jay said...

I fully expect to get these types of emails all summer long. I really just wish I hadn't been getting them since January from Hillary supporters.

I even asked one chick I know who was telling me that Obama really is a Muslim how she believed given all the press his Christian church hot over the Rev. Wright stuff. She just shrugged her shoulders and said "He goes there to cover up his Muslim beliefs, I guess."

Just amazing.

WNG said...

Not Star - haven't the people of Myanmar gone through enough already?

Jay - I just can't get over the fact that people believe this ish! I know that it's usually because they want to, because it confirms some hidden fear in the back of thier minds, but still...

NoRegrets said...

I'm amazed that 1) someone would send YOU this 2) that the person sent it to co-workers. I'm sad that people let easy to apply labels stick.

This is something that Obama really needs to address. I remember a while back the semi big deal that was made of Obama in 'Muslim' attire. Middle America is proBush and anti-anything Muslim.

WNG said...

I'm almost glad that they did send this to me, they needed to send it to someone who could say NOT TRUE and offer the truth. Also, with all the flap about his church and his Rev I don't think he does need to address this. I don't think he does need to pander to what people keep calling 'middle America' or 'working class America' when what they really mean is 'basically racist America'. He needs to stick to his issues and his message and his ground troops need to keep combating idiocy and fear mongering whenever we see it.
Wow...didn't realize I was still that pissed...sometimes it sucks being a 'ground troop'.

Doc said...

Ok haters get your s--t straight... This month is he a Muslim extremist or a Black church Christian extremest? What are we going to find out from the e-mail next that he is really an extremest Buddist Monk ??

Geeze!

WNG said...

Yeah Doc, there'll be a picture of him and Richard Gere with Rambo belts full of grenades...

Truthiz said...

Greetings All!

My second time visiting and first time posting.

IMO, the two main symptoms of the twin disease, “Racism” and “Bigotry”, are Ignorance and Hate. That email is a perfect example!

Those diseases, which tend to take root and fester within “like” groups, also tend to thrive in darkness_as do most of the infected “carriers” tend to thrive in darkness.

Some “carriers” gladly devote a significant amount of their time spreading their venom to other “like” group members...only NOW, thanks to the internet, we’re able to see them in action!

I’m a believer that the best cure for darkness is Light. The more their messages of Ignorance and pure Hatred are Exposed to the general public_for ALL of America and the world to see_the more We’re all aware of them and better able to mount an effective defense against them.

We can't fight what we CAN'T see!

The person(s) who wrote and sent that email are, at the core of their being, Ignorant-azz hate-mongers, who (like Poisonous snakes) have enjoyed slithering about, undetected, in tall grass for much too long.

Thanks to informative blogsites, (such as this one and a few others I now enjoy), the grass is getting shorter, day-by-day,_and THAT gives me hope!

My compliments WNG!

WNG said...

Truthiz - Thanks...I'm not sure I deserve it, but I'll take the compliment! That's the only reason I was glad they sent it to me, so that I could answer. I've traded emails with a few people and although I'm not sure how much it's helped - it can't hurt.

Susan said...

I HATE how West Virginia is portrayed in basically every form of media. I'm going to keep the full rant to myself but sterotypes about this state get pushed further and further every time the media puts an idiot on tv.

I almost got into a fight at the polls today. It wasn't related to anything other than my health habits but now that would have made the news knowing my luck.

On an unrelated note: Should the thought of those 3 people all muscley and greasy and dirty and with ammo excite me? Uhhh...I mean...excite people...

slag said...

I don't think he does need to pander to what people keep calling 'middle America' or 'working class America' when what they really mean is 'basically racist America'. He needs to stick to his issues and his message and his ground troops need to keep combating idiocy and fear mongering whenever we see it.

Right on! Hillary's most irresponsible acts during this election have involved pandering and catering to ignorance and fear. As long as candidates continue to do so, we're not going to get real change in this country. It both enables the ignorant and turns off the would-be voters who want results instead of pandering. Obama needs to keep doing just what he's doing--running a positive campaign. There are always going to be people who persist in wallowing in this muck. Obama can fight it by standing up for what he believes in and helping people get to know him...not catering to idiocy.

(Thanks for using that image! It's one of my faves because I think it's true.)

WNG said...

I've been thinking about you today, Susan, and I feel your pain (I'm from SC after all). I'm pretty sceptical of media portrayals of any group of people- although I really think you should have had a smackdown at the polls:) If I've learned anything today it's that we can only do what we do and hope. So you keep being a kick as WV woman and I'll keep being an Obama footsoldier and we'll hope.
(and drink vodka and go see Maroon 5 in 72 DAYS!!!)

WNG said...

Thank you slag...for the kick ass artwork,the support and this: It both enables the ignorant and turns off the would-be voters who want results instead of pandering
SO true!!!

The CEO said...

At some point, people need to learn to think for themself. There is the dichotomy of Muslim-Christian that some would like to impale Obama on. Ultimately, there's still the separation of Church and State, not that Bush was good at it, vis a vie stem cell research for example. The real answer is to GET OUT THE VOTE! Because you can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

WNG said...

I personally wouldn't care if he was a Muslim - it just bugs mne how in every one of those emails it always says Black Muslim - it's beyond religious intolerance, it's racism.
BUT I'm with you on the GOTV movement and I'm doing what I can. It helps :)

Big Man said...

Do you co-workers where hoods to work?

Probably not, they hate to be that blatant.

I'm going to have a post at my spot about how white folks just hate to call each other racist on Friday.

WNG said...

They don't think of that as racist, obviously, and trying to educate them has strained things around here with some of them.