Friday, June 20

the big piece of chicken

He started it.
I wasn’t even going to post about the Father’s Day speech because there was no policy in it and as far as I could tell there was just the usual sound and fury swirling around it. Then Big Man starts posting on it and now I have something to say.
This is one of my biggest pet peeves and I have to credit it to Papa G. Apathy, in general, will make me nutso faster than just about anything else, but the apathy and general ineffectiveness and downright laziness of the Black church in America can take me into a full on Poltergeist 360 headspin.
If all these preachers really cared about the baby mamas and daddies we would see some action. A sermon is not action. Action is speaking with a school principal or district officer and finding some of these young girls either still in school or not and bringing them into the church family. Help them raise that child, help them strengthen themselves and most of all help them to break the cycle of 40 something grannies. And while you’re at it go find that young man wherever he is and bring him in too. Help him to see not only his obligations, but the love and joy he can have as a father. Help that family to come together around that child. Help those two young people to pull themselves together and up. Pick one a year if you want to start small, but do something. Do something to change your community.
Churches are supposed to be houses of worship, but all too often they are wasted space. Bible study, choir rehearsal and worship are all extremely important, but so are soup kitchens and after school programs and day care and job training. You have all that space and you (should) have all that love. Why let it just sit?
The Children’s Defense Fund will help you set up Saturday schools to teach our young people self esteem and give them not only a safe place to play in the summers but a head start in school. Call them.
Call your city hall and ask for a list of non profits in your area, then call some and see what kind of help they need.
Take a couple Sundays to pass out surveys to your congregation to see what they think the most important issue in your community is. Once you have identified it (or go crazy and pick the top three) make a plan to do something about it.
The Black church has always been the heart of the Black community, but for a while there it was the brain and the guts as well. Where we could not only seek guidance and support for our spiritual walk but for our earthly march. What happened?
Whether you agree with what Obama said or where he said it one thing is for certain, the generations of single parent children who follow him will probably be a lot less nice about it. We have let them go. We have turned our backs. We listen to fiery sermons and we say Amen. Until the words are joined with action though, I don't think we can get too upset when one of those abandoned children grows up and throws it in our faces.

15 Comments:

Doc said...

Obama?

Who is Obama?

WNG said...

Oh you are soooooooooo funny!

slag said...

Doing things is good.

(yes, I'm phoning it in today :)

WNG said...

Yes, yes you are. I was trying to as well until Big Man got all thinkative.

Yes, it's a word - I just made it up!

Doc said...

If I was being funny I would have said somethign along the lines of:

Let me use my American express card to fill up my Mercedes with Orbitz, Coca Cola and Slim fast while I rub aspercream on myself and top it off with Gold Bond before I put on my Crest Whitestrips and snuggle into bed at my holiday inn express hotel room that I found on Priceline....

that would be humor....

NoRegrets said...

Yeah, I've been busy driving in my Toyota to the gym where I had to put Gold Bond powder inmy climbing shoes, and since I can't seem to get rid of this little tire around my waist, had to stop and buy Slim Fast and some vitamins.

WNG said...

No, Turtle, that would be snark. This is why your little Jack-Jack is trying to make a prison break!
:-)

WNG said...

Not you too NoR!!!

Jonah K. Haslap said...

Wow that was super serious. I can't make a joke here! I think you should post something else soon, so I can make a joke on your comments section. Otherwise the jokes will just build up inside me and I will explode. You don't want to make me explode do you? That wouldn't be very American.

WNG said...

Now I've got exploding jokes going through my head Jonah...BEFORE COFFEE!

Big Man said...

This is exactly they way I feel about church.

Great post.

We need more churces that serve as guts.

Big Man said...

This is exactly they way I feel about church.

Great post.

We need more churces that serve as guts.

WNG said...

Thanks, Big Man! We really do, there are so many things that our churches could do - they have the people, the faith and the love (and the money), it all just needs to be put to use!

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Ok G I’m late to the party on this, but I have to agree. I am not sure how I missed it because I knew you were going to write about it. Anyway I agree 100 with you; it is actually why I am a member at the church I attend. My Pastor is just as concerned with life after birth as he is with life after death. And while he does preach a prosperity ministry he also preaches the same stuff Barry was talking about, he also makes sure that the young people have a voice and somewhere to talk about there issues. He also talks about the keys to developing wealth (not getting rich) that you can pass generation to generation. It has over 100 ministries that deal with all kinds of things.

When he started preaching about it being scriptural to own land over 10years ago the church also built a neighborhood next to the neighborhood it was housed in and help debt and credit classes. They also hold parenting classes and lots of things that we deal with today not just when we get to glory. And all the time I have gone here all I here is criticism about what he’s doing that its just fame or political ploy (AB4AD) or that the members think they are better than other black Methodist out there.

It’s crazy it’s like damned if you do damned if you don’t, but I’m glad the church continues to do. I do think what the church has done has made a difference in the black community and Hiram Clarke (the area of town where the church is located). I think the black church has got to act not just tell people to act. And before I move my membership anywhere the church would have to be actively committed to the community. You don’t have to be big to do that either.

I felt like you with all the outrage, where were all these people when this epidemic was unfolding before our very eyes? Now you’re mad, no embarrassed that its here and we’ve been nationally televised! Man whatever the revolution is not only going to be televised it’s going to be streamed live on YouTube. Great Post!!

-OG

WNG said...

Thanks for the comment, OG, and please tell all those working so hard at your church thank you from me. Every little bit helps.
I agree that you don't have to be big to do it. You can always have a food drive or have a teen night or myriad other things that could help your community.
And wouldn't it be wonderful if pastors could give each other ideas and help? But as you say that is DEFINITELY AB4AD!!!