Thursday, June 26

separation anxiety


Somehow it is always different and always the same. Papa G rolled through last night on his way to ‘the city’. We hung out for a while talking politics and PBS and family gossip and then went to Krush with Part Time Blogger. It struck me as we were sitting there that Part Time is Papa G for the new millennium, in temperament at least. The two of them cracked me up and then bonded over how expensive what a blessing I am. We had a really great time.
This morning I was driving to work early and called Papa G to make sure he had his directions straight for the second leg of his journey. We chatted for a while and then I went into the Wawa for some coffee and breakfast. As I was walking back to Pookie the Wonder Jetta it hit me that he was leaving. An image flashed into my mind of him packing his toiletries into his shaving bag in a hotel bathroom and I sat in my car and almost cried.
WTF?
I have NO idea what that was about. It happens every time though – when I leave them or when they leave me. I bawled in the shuttle to the airport in Chicago. And in my car when Mama G left after Memorial Day. For a moment I am desolate and deserted. Then I give myself a little mental slap and remember that I am a grown ass woman who… not true. Then I just shake it off and go on about my day with this thing hanging in the back of my mind. I’m usually fine when I wake up the next morning.

Oh and by the way…he brought me a matted, framed portrait of himself done by an artist friend who teaches at OSU.
Seriously.
It’s hanging in my living room right now.

12 Comments:

Jay said...

Sounds completely normal to me. I have a little wave of depression sweep over me every time my sister and brother in law leave after they've come to visit.

Susan said...

My parents only live one town over and I'll have issues leaving their house when I visit. It's normal. No worries.


GOOD LUCK!!

WNG said...

Wow guys I have NEVER been called normal by two people in one day before...now I'm kind of worried about YOU!

NoRegrets said...

OK, you aren't normal.
How did it go?

Doc said...

No you sure ain't normal... ;-)

WNG said...

Thanks Nor, you're always the voice of reason ;-)

It went really well, so cross your fingers - now I just wait and see.

Um...thanks(?)Doc...

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Yes, I feel you on the men that you’re interested in, for lack of a better term, reminding you of dad.

TOOMA (the obj of my affections) reminds me a lot of my dad and his relationship with his daughter reminds me of me and my dad. I sometimes cry and miss my dad and wish he was here when I hear them on the phone.

I think you can always miss your parents NO MATTER HOW OLD you get. It's allowed.

-OG

WNG said...

Thanks, OG. Now I don't feel quite so silly.

And I do still have that portrait on him on my wall. She even painted in his Ed Bradley earring. It cracks me up.

Big Man said...

My mom used to break down in tears every time my brother and I left for college in the fall or after a vacation. I couldn't understand it.

WNG said...

It's called love, silly.

Gye Greene said...

I think it's sweet that you're that close to your parents. :)


--GG

WNG said...

So do I...until I have to deal with Mama G and my crazy sister all weekend and then I think it's just nuts!

Then they leave and I miss them again...