Monday, June 2

so what to do with the rest of the days


The past couple of weeks have been stormy. As I look out of my window I see a tree that has been knocked down so many times in the past couple weeks that while everything around it is green and blooming it looks dead. I have been assured that it isn’t. I have been told by our landscaper that it will be back as long as we watch it and make sure it doesn’t get knocked down again. The forecast so far looks good and I have hopes for my tree. It’s been tied down to supports and hopefully it will get a chance to sink its’ roots deep before the next storm comes.
I’ve made a decision. I’m going to step back from Part Time Blogger. We had a great time on Saturday at the beach and then dinner and a movie. Then I woke up yesterday thinking about him and couldn’t get him out of my head all day. I have to step back. I have to not text or email. I need time to sink my roots deep into the earth and get strong again, because these past couple weeks have been filled with strong storms and I’ve been knocked down more than a few times, myself. This isn’t a game – I’m not trying to get him to miss me or realize that we should be together or any thing Harlequin like that. I know three things: my feelings for him aren’t going away, so I have to learn to live with them, 2) whether he returns them or not he isn’t ready to do anything about them and 3) I can’t keep waiting around for something to happen. If we’re going to really be friends then I need to be ok with us just being friends. If I’m going to get there I need time, to stop thinking about him, to stop wanting him, to just stop and get green again.

15 Comments:

NoRegrets said...

Well, the tree is a great metaphor. Looks dead, but there's still some life. Perhaps that's the relationship too.

slag said...

Good call. Stay strong!

WNG said...

Thanks NoR. That's Pookie the Wonder Jetta parked in front of it :)

I'm trying Slag. Being strong sucks. Weak is so much easier!

NoRegrets said...

Ha, what a statement! Being strong sucks..etc.

Hey, did you read that I got the house? I forgot now and am too lazy to go back to my blog. So, you can come visit once Hotel NoR is up and running. Cheap rates. :-)

NoRegrets said...

PS, though Susan is AWOL, I'll mention anyway that AGAIN I ran into fish tacos. This time at the mexican restaurant I go to on the way back from climbing. It was the special. Oh boy was it special!

WNG said...

YOU GOT THE HOUSE!!! YEA!!!
I got hung up with work - and was a little too sad to read more after Es...
but YEA for you!!! So, now that there's a house we need a name for our sorority...hmm...
Wait - did I tell you that Mama G and I had fish tacos last weekend at a place called Chics???
Seriously.

NoRegrets said...

Wow... fish tacos abound!
And NOOOOO... that cannot be the name of my house... :-)

WNG said...

He he he...
C'mon...that was FUNNY!
Ok, fine, we'll think of something else. We still need to come up with a sorority name anyway :)

But seriously -fish tacos at chics-
that's what I call delicious irony

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

I've been where you are a couple of times WNG. Even in my most recent friendship it took me a while to get past the fact that he may not we may not be anything more than friends. Although it seems when I made that decision we became more although we haven't moved forward and I am okay with that for many reasons.

I just blogged about our relationship and how I am very happy with where it is, but it wasn't always that easy to be this happy. Good luck with the root sinking!!

-OG

The CEO said...

You might need to ask around and meet someone new. Or, you could just walk up to a like prospect and grab him by the ear and say 'follow me'. Then there was the pool shooting scenario....

WNG said...

Thanks, OG. I'm trying to take this as a lesson in acceptance... just like being strong - growing as a person sucks.
:)
OR I could move to DC to be someone's super secret sushi mistress...

Gye Greene said...

Yep, great analogy.

My opinion on a lot of these "relationship things" is that folks exhibit a kind of "gravitational field": If you two are meant to be together, you'll drift back into each other's orbits -- whether you mean to or not.

Unless one of you moves out of town, or something.


Re: the tree -- can you find SeaSol at the local hardware store, in the gardening section? It's a seaweed extract. (Other brands will work, too.) Put a few spoonfuls of that stuff in a bucket o' water and dump it on the roots (well, the dirt...) about once a week.

It promotes root growth (excellent for transplanting -- which in effect is what's happened to your tree -- but staying in the same place!). And because it's not "fertilizer", it's almost impossible to overdose the tree, "burn" the roots, etc.


I just noticed the "visitor locations" graphic: pleased that I'm represented (hailing from Down Under).


--GG

WNG said...

Thanks, for the idea, Gye! I'll try that this weekend.

Also - I've backed off and I'm leaving it up to Fate and to him. So, we'll just see.

Who else is reading me upside down, I wonder?

bluesky said...

I noticed your link to freerice and I thought I would let you know of
another great charity site which is AIDtoCHILDREN.com. It donates money to children in need through World Vision.

Check it out at http://www.aidtochildren.com

Blonde Ambition said...

Who is the white car asshole in my old parking spot?