Wednesday, June 18

the southern gentleman: update

It started here. Last Sunday this was the editorial in the Charleston Post and Courier. After some talks with Papa G and some private ranting, what appears below is the letter I wrote to the editorial board of the paper. I doubt it will be published (I no longer live there and it's long) but I'm glad I sent it in.



An Open Letter to The Charleston County School Board and the NAACP of Charleston

As the daughter of an educator and an activist and as a former student in Charleston County Schools I must ask: Honestly, what were you thinking?
I wish that I could leave it there and trust that all of you, as intelligent adults would be able to sift through this mess yourselves. I cannot. The more that is revealed about this entire affair the more embarrassing for the county it becomes.
When School Board member Ravenel circumvented the Board’s own rules in order to push his own agenda, threatened the job of Dr. McGinley (which, historically, was not an empty threat) and then used profanity regarding her in the office the correct action for the Board to have taken would have been to ask for a written apology to be read into record before he resigned. I do not understand how there can be any doubt about that. He broke rules of policy and the rules of basic human decency. I am not asking for him to be held to a higher standard, but to any kind of standard at all.
Where are the voices of the rest of the board members? Why have they not all come together to ask for Mr. Ravenel’s resignation? Could any of us have gotten away with this in any other job – usurping the authority of a board and threatening a coworker or subordinate – without being fired?
When the NAACP decided to gather supporters and go to the Board to discuss the matter they were told that each person would have one minute to speak. How they were so surprised by this action I will never know. Ask yourself if when you were a child you could have limited your parents to one-minute lectures when you had done something wrong. That’s an easy one. Did they really think that this Board would be interested in opening a dialogue with its constituents? What could have possibly led them to that conclusion?
What would I have done differently, you ask? Request a repeal of the rule and when that was denied leave the meeting and go, en masse, to the Post and Courier, The City Paper or the Chronicle (or all three) and ask to speak to a reporter. Explain what you have just done and offer to answer any and all questions that they have. None of them would have turned you down and the people of Charleston County would have seen the tricks their Board is trying to pull.
Apparently the Board is considering new ethics rules because its members cannot be trusted to act ethically without them. Yet they control the education of the children of Charleston County. People get the government they deserve. I am sad to say that from everything I have seen Charleston County deserves Arthur Ravenel, Jr.

14 Comments:

Susan said...

Excellent letter. I doubt they have the balls to print it though..

WNG said...

You never know Susan...they print Papa G's letters sometimes and he can be pretty harsh. Keep your fingers crossed :)

NoRegrets said...

I'm going to start calling you Stormy. Hmm... not quite right. I'll think of it. Well written for sure.

WNG said...

Just Storm, like in the XMen would be fine, NoR :-)

Susan said...

OMG is it really only 36 days away??

WNG said...

IT REALLY IS!!!

Doc said...

Go Celts....

WNG said...

Oh just wait until tomorrow. Guess what Thursday's Theme is going to be???

His Sinfulness said...

An excellent letter - here's to hoping they print it.

Gye Greene said...

They may print it -- but then edit it down "for space" -- and in doing so, take a lot of the "bite" out of it. (Hopefully not, though.)

Keep us posted?


--GG

WNG said...

Pater!!! Hi!!! Thanks :)

Yeah, Gye, I thought about that...but that's why I have a blog, right?

Gye Greene said...

G,


To clarify: I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't submit letters to the editor. 'T'was just a comment.


--GG

WNG said...

Don't worry! I got you :)

slag said...

Great letter! We need more letters!