Monday, July 7

Happy Monday: Green the Ghetto

It’s Monday and I'm sorry for that. But like I tell my sweet minions (whenever I’m not too bitter to see the light at the end of the tunnel) there is always something that you can do to make things better. Most people just don’t know about all the amazing groups there are out there taking action to change the world. It is in their honor that I will be presenting Happy Mondays. Each Monday I’ll profile some one or some group who is doing something – taking action to solve some problem in their community and in doing that, our world.



It Ain’t Easy Being Green.
Sustainable South Bronx has the right idea and is making things work. The South Bronx has long been underrepresented in city government and overburdened with poverty, crime and toxins. There is too little green space and too much joblessness. At first glance, few would see these problems, or their solutions, as related. BUT what if you could take the jobless and turn them into activists for their community? What if you could get the people planting gardens, on rooftops and around the neighborhoods? What if you could begin a grassroots campaign to take back the community and to latch it’s economic future to the rising star of Green Industry?
That is exactly what they’ve done. Through myriad programs and political activism SSBX is changing the way the South Bronx looks and more importantly, the way it operates. They are giving control back to the people in the community and those people are working to clean up the city and the environment.
If you’ll be in NYC any time in the near future please go check them out. If you won’t you can check out their website (and their web store or donate online). Let them inspire you to change a light bulb, pay more attention to your local politics, support a jobs program or start your own organization and change the world.
Get out there and Green the Ghetto, minions!

12 Comments:

Doc said...

G the G - not a bad idea.

WNG said...

It's a really great idea, Doc. And it's working! Of course, the fact that the slogan can be shortened to G the G can only help, really!

NoRegrets said...

I think a friend of mine worked with them one summer...

Susan said...

I now have "rainbow connection" stuck in my head..

WNG said...

The next time I visit Papa G in NYC (ooh that rhymed!) I'm going down there. I lived in the Bronx for 7 years, so I really love this story!

Did you know they're making another Muppets movie, Susan? This one is supposed to be in the old school Muppets Take Manhattan style. Cross your fingers...

slag said...

Love the innovative thinking! You-for your new Happy Mondays segment. And Sustainable South Bronx for understanding that helping people create livable communities helps connect them to their communities, thereby making their communities even more livable, etc, etc. Good stuff! Great idea!

The CEO said...

I'm pretty sure you should be in politics and not running a book store. Yup, I'm pretty certain about that.

WNG said...

Me too Slag! I'm pretty dedicated to highlighting someone new each week, there are so many people out there busting ass to change the world - they deserve a shout out.

Sure, Monty, that'll happen. But thanks, sweetie, I appreciate it.

Gye Greene said...

Good stuff! :)


--GG

NoRegrets said...

I'd vote for you!!

slag said...

I used to work in a bookstore. Nightmares. Literally.

Forget politics. Make a million dollars off the web, G. Everybody's doing it.

OK. Not me. But everybody else is.

OK. Nobody is. But it sounds good.

WNG said...

I want to OWN the bookstore, Slag, it's different :-)

And I would, if I could. You figure it out and let me know how to do that...

Thanks, NoR, but I won't be running!