Thursday, July 10

Hi Senator, why don’t you take your legislative agenda and shove it up your ass*


Barack Obama is not me. We don’t believe in all of the same things and in his place I would have voted differently many times on many issues. There aren’t too many Democrats in Congress or the Senate that I wouldn’t say that about. Where the balls have gone I do not know. Senators: Stop whining about how you don’t have 60 votes and start filibustering like big boys and girls. Whether it works or not you will have changed the debate and shone a light on the bullshit. Congress: I honestly have nothing to say to you except, goodbye. What have you DONE? Caved in, gave way, and bided your time for this election while people in this country go hungry, go to war, lose their homes and their savings – sometimes all in one family. And you give political answers. Personally I say a pox on both your houses.

Yeah, I’m pissed. My friends are in Iraq, cemeteries, mental hospitals and jail. I’m barely scraping by off of over 40 hours a week at a 9-5. My country has turned its back on its own founding documents and its people. The Legislative branch had cocktail hour while the 4th Amendment was raped. I am pissed off.

As a member of the Senate Mr. Obama gets his fair share of my wrath. As a candidate for President he doesn’t. I’ve long said that we get the government we deserve and I mean that. We do this to ourselves, over and over again. Then we whine and cry about it. The apathy that people feel about the political process raises my blood pressure to dangerous levels on a regular basis and I have to say that I am gratified to see Mr. Obama having a positive affect there. A coworker of mine who is 25, married to a Coastie and mother of an 18month old registered to for the first time through Mr. Obama’s website. She still isn’t sure whom she will be voting for, but she has found a wealth of information she can use to make her decision. Plenty of people who care about the process, whether they fully support Mr. Obama or not (I’m talking about you Slag) have been involved in Get Out The Vote activities across the country. That’s all great, I’ve done GOTV myself and will continue to do so.

But that’s not what really impresses me. What really impresses me is his online organization. Everything you could ever want to know about any of his positions is there (So I really don’t get some of these flip flopping charges actually…reading is fundamental, minions) and that’s what I expected. What I didn’t expect was the variety of resources for those of us who disagree with him on issues to be able to tell him how we feel and what we’re thinking. Are you pissed about his stance on FISA? Welcome to the club. Literally. Sign in to My Barack Obama and you can meet thousands, sometimes millions of people who care about the specific issues that you do and are making their voices heard to each other, the campaign and the candidate. You can also call the campaign, as I did, and talk to someone about your questions or concerns. These staffers are keeping logs of what people are calling in about. The information is moving upwards daily. Talk about the opposite of apathy. Who knew that if a campaign actually wanted to hear what the people were saying the people would talk? Yeah, should have been a no brainer but…

Please, let’s not confuse this dialogue with influence. I don’t think that any of us will change his mind on the issues. I think we may change the way he tries to explain himself to us, to better articulate his point of view and we may possibly make him stop and look at an issue from another side. Is that worth it? I believe it is. I believe that speaking up is always worth it, especially when you know you will be heard. Especially when it looks like for the first time we will continue to have this kind of dialogue if he is elected.

In the coming weeks I’ll be tackling many different issues that I am passionate about. Sometimes Mr. Obama will agree with me on them and sometimes he won’t. However, I seriously doubt that I will be shocked at anytime in this campaign by a policy decision or a vote he casts (or doesn’t). I’ve read his positions and like he asked me to I’m not assuming that they are political expediencies, but accepting that they are his positions.

So – I’ll keep trying to change his mind by phone, email and web. I’ll keep working GOTV. I’ll keep trying to spread actual information and avoiding ‘news’ outlets that focus on horse race. I will try to keep my anger and cynicism in check. I will keep volunteering in my community and fighting for it. I will keep working and keep hoping because I believe that as an American, “I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep”.

"The country is waiting for someone to step up. It should be us".

Josh Lyman, West Wing

*don't take the title the wrong way - it is one of my most favorite west wing quotes of all time - breathe minions, breathe...

11 Comments:

NoRegrets said...

I am glad you are doing all this, and look forward to reading about the issues. I cannot expend that much energy being frustrated, especially right now, but will be following your frustration. And perhaps if you say it often enough to me, I'll start to believe that one person can make a difference in a political agenda. I havent' to date. On a personal level, yes, but the broader political agenda, no.

WNG said...

Oh but we can, NoR, we can. I'll keep saying it as long as you need to hear it:
"Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Susan said...

Tru dat

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Yes, I have to say his Organization is more impressive than him which says a lot because HE IS MIGHTY IMPRESSIVE!! *lol*

Looks like I got a place to chew on some good fat for a minute.

I loved this post. At the end I want to say "I am WNG" in a Spike Lee I am Malcolm X way.

-OG

WNG said...

It's never going away, is it Susan?

OG - I could have a whole slide show, it would be awesome. Hmmm...that sounds like a great birthday present for a G...

hint

hint

slag said...

I sensed you were talking about me and rushed right over.

Agreed with every word (especially the West Wing lines). Loved that title as soon as I saw it! Way to keep your anger in check, but I'm glad that you have it. Congress deserves it. And I like your proffered solutions. I'll keep reading, for sure.

Nonetheless, I still say that his FISA vote was a total flip-flop (based on what I've read). And after thinking about it, I'm choosing to believe that it was, in fact, mostly for political expediency rather than a reflection of his beliefs. There's no way he's dumb/craven enough to think the bill was doing any real good. He's a Constitutional lawyer, for crying out loud.

WNG said...

Glad to know I can tingle your Spidey sense.

God I'm such a dork.

As for FISA I have more than enough rage for all branches of the government. My only hope is that he will repeal it OR use the fact taht there aren't criminal immunities and go after the bastards...hard when the bastards are part of the government too...

slag said...

hard when the bastards are part of the government too...

Yah...you betcha.

or Tru dat.

WNG said...

Tru dat is the new black...

Deacon Blue said...

Ah, WNG, you're a superhero geek too (Spidey sense, and then the Dark Knight cartoon in your previous post)...if only I didn't already have a special someone.

Anyway, I have zero to say of depth here because you already nailed all the shite on the head with your post. Just figured it was high time I commented on your blog since you've been so kind as to grace my comments.

Keep the faith!

WNG said...

I am all kinds of geek, Deac, you have NO idea. Good use of the word shite as well.

Speaking of the Dark Knight, I've watched all the previews on my phone via Vcast. If you don't have it find someone who does and check out the cartoon/digital shorts. They're pretty awesome.

ok, geek time over ;)