Wednesday, July 16

just breathe

I realize that this is the wrong way to look at things but just before I open my eyes each morning there are millions of possibilities and the further along I get in my day the more narrow my world becomes. It starts when I get to work and have to talk to these people. Just going about my daily routine kills the hope that I have for this nation and the Human Race.
Uh huh – that’s a dramatic statement, but I’m really not exaggerating, some of these are NOT people who need to be procreating. I know this because I had to work with one of their children. When I talk to people about my volunteer work they always seem so surprised. I don’t know what’s going on from 6-8pm three nights a week, but I must be missing out on something great. Is everyone else having crazy sex with gorgeous movie stars while I’m at the children’s hospital?
I do it because it keeps me (slightly) sane. It makes going into my job bearable. It makes the job search bearable. It makes not winning the lottery and getting to tell certain people exactly what I think of them as I walk out the door bearable.
It is a completely selfish act.

A couple weeks a ago, Rosalie (6yrs old) told me this joke:

Why did Frankenstein eat the lamp?

Because he wanted a light snack!


I think about that when the theme from Jaws starts playing in my head and the scream builds up in my throat. I laugh, I shake it off, remember that blood pressure medicine is expensive and go on about my day.
ps-blogger won't upload any of my images today...breathe...calm...

19 Comments:

Susan said...

I'm not sure I've ever had crazy sex from 6-8pm.

WNG said...

Well, something's going on. Three people this week have asked me about my time committment like it was unheard of.

Wait a minute - there is a time of day when you HAVEN'T had crazy sex???

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Relax, relate, RELEASE! It totally makes a difference!

-OG

WNG said...

Yeah, OG, so would slapping somebody...or getting to spike my OJ...


it's just one of those days when I am SO GRATEFUL that I get to go see my babies tonight.

NoRegrets said...

So, I'm not the only one blogger won't let upload images. So it isn't a sign of doom. Good.

I look forward to the day when I volunteer regularly again...

The CEO said...

Unfortunately, you are not the Lone Ranger when it comes to seeing your day destroyed, daily. It seems to be a fairly common occurrence for a lot of people, particularly those who think.

Susan said...

I know, G, I was as shocked as you to realize this non-crazy sex time of day.

WNG said...

It still might be a sign of doom NoR...
and don't worry - once you get yourself settled you'll find something :-)

Monty - My friend Val gave me a bunch of books for my birthday, one of them was 5o Jobs Worse Than Yours. I keep it ask my desk and try to resist the urge to beat my coworkers with it!

We need to do something about this Susan. This is horible!!!

Blonde Ambition said...

I am sure you are speaking of Evil Dead and Evil Dead Spawn. For that I can feel your pain. Just remember the concert next week bc I am super excited!

WNG said...

Oh yes, V, you know EXACTLY who I mean. But today is one of those days when there are a LOT more people on the list than off it.

July 25 cannot come soon enough!

Big Man said...

Yeah, I must have missed the crazy sex memo.

You know, you inspired me to call the Children's Hospital here and ask about volunteering a while back. They told me to try back in the winter because their program was all full for the summer.

Just wanted to let you know that you're making the world a better place.

WNG said...

I'm going to have to start and Afternoon Crazy Sex Club...hmm...

YEA for you calling and DOUBLE YEA for them being full!!! I wish we had that problem here!

Inarticulate Fumblings said...

Know I've been MIA. In case you're interested, our travel blog is up and running while we're away. Peace - IF

slag said...

We're going to have to change this. People shouldn't spend the majority of their lives feeling hopeless. It's far too "uniquely American."

I don't know what goes on from 6-8 either. I'm guessing bad tv and frozen dinners, but your hypothesis sounds more interesting.

WNG said...

IF - I thought you'd gone into 'lurker mode', I do that sometimes. I'll check out your travels! Hope everything's going great with you.

Slag - a lot of it is my job, which I am trying desperately to replace, but thanks to this craptastic economy there really isn't anything out there.

As for the 6-8 thing I really think that all my 'blogger peeps' and I need to make a pact to start doing something fantastic during those hours at least once a week.

slag said...

a lot of it is my job, which I am trying desperately to replace, but thanks to this craptastic economy there really isn't anything out there.
That's a bummer. But you're creative and smart. You should make a new job. Is it time to start a bookstore? Used? Or were you serious about the t-shirt thing? Got any side businesses that you could put more energy into? I say you should build an empire. It's fun!

WNG said...

I am very serious abot th t shirt thing, I am very serious about the bookstore. I'm also broke (not in the way people SAY they are but in the literally .28 cents in the bank way), working my way out of debt and without a computer (except at work).


SO - I'm working on it, but things are moving really slowly. Sometimes I run out of patience and get low on hope.

Gye Greene said...

Even though you claim you volunteer for selfish reasons -- you are so very, very cool for doing that.


--GG

WNG said...

Thanks, Gye.
But once you've been doing it for a while you realize that it really is better to give, blah, blah, blah.