Thursday, August 14

Thursday's Theme: Book Worm

I adore books. I’m addicted to them. When I moved to VA The U-haul was jammed with boxes of books. No bed, no real furniture but TONS of books. I don’t have bookshelves; I have stacks of books ringing my living room, listing like drunken sailors reporting for inspection. There isn’t a genre that I haven’t found something to love about, but I tend to get hooked more on an author than a genre. I love finding new authors at the library. I’ll check out a huge stack of their work, pour through it and then start buying it if I like it. I keep lists of the books I’m missing by certain authors. I’m a book dork.
There is no real sense of order to my taste. I can’t stand Hemingway. I love Ayn Rand. It has nothing to do with the ‘politics’ of the books, but whether or not I like the way they string words together. I have everything Robert Tanenbaum, Sam Shepherd, William Shakespeare, Zora Neale Hurston, Jodi Picoult and Nora Roberts have ever written. There are others…but they don’t fit into any category either. I’ve just started to get really into science fiction and non-fiction histories lately, but when I got this Meme it was a ghost story by Jodi Picoult that was at hand.
I Am Not Star Jones tagged me with this Reader Meme:
1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge the one who tagged you.

So, here is your excerpt from Second Glance by Jodi Picoult:
If pressed, he could recall the burning smell that was his hair; the stiffness of his limbs as the current coursed through him. He would have liked to be able to tell of crossing to the other side, of that bright white light, but if these things had happened he knew nothing of it.
The sky ripped again, a jagged tear that stayed visible for moments after the strike of lightning was gone.

Now…who to tag, who to tag…hmm…Yeah, ALL OF YOU. If you have read this far you have been tagged. I love hearing about what other people are reading, so indulge me minions (which you should be more than happy to do, as minions) and open up your bookshelves for my perusal…

Not Star is, of course, exempted since she started this whole thing, but you should all feel free to go whine about it over on her blog if you want!

15 Comments:

NoRegrets said...

I did this a while back when I was reading Cold Mountain, which I'm still reading but have had no brain to read for at least a month. I can barely make it through O magazine (from last year).

Susan said...

I'll do this on Monday. It'll help me burn work time.

WNG said...

Oh NoR, If I ever won the lottery I swear that I'd take you and Susan on an awesome vacation at LEAST a month long. I think we all need some serious down time...

I do what I can to help, Susan :) I've had this sitting on my to do list for over a week, so...

Doc said...

Your selection from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban:

But Harry saw him wink at Crabbe and Goyle when Pansy looked away.
"Settle down, settle down," said Professor Snape idly.
Harry and Ron scowled at each other; Snape wouldn't have said "settle down" if they'd walked in late, he'd have given them detention.

WNG said...

10 Million points to Doc for having Harry Potter right there!!!

ps - Snape's an ass. I don't care WHO he loved - he's an ass.

Doc said...

Yep, If it's August then it means I am re-reading the series. Snape is one of the most fantastically created characters of all time... You are supposed to trust him but you just can't bring your self to!

BTW - You came up in conversation when Vinny and I were at Shea... Go se my comment at YJKOBT for the 411 on what Vinny called you... LOL!

WNG said...

You're such a dork, Doc. I think that's why I luv you!

ps I'm totally obsessed with the movie trailers...

Doc said...

I was concerned at all the stuff they left out of the Order of the Phoenix movie, but was glad to hear that they have decided to split Deathly Hallows into 2 full length movies... (you just can't short change the story about chasing Riddle's horcruxes)

Oh and I luv you too... for a buncha reasons

WNG said...

Me too! I gave them a pass on Phoenix because not too many people (besides us) would have been ok with a three or four hour movie... But I'm loving the two part plan. Mostly just because it lengthens the amount of time before it's all over.

and of course you luv me! the reasons for my awesomeness are infinite ;)

Doc said...

Not to totally dork up your blog today but have you advanced ordered a copy of "Tales of Beetle the Bard?" yet?

(For those of you who you have no idea what I am talking about then search that on Amazon or Barnes and noble)

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

I love books too! When I go home I plan on having bookshelves built in the landing from coming upstairs. All planned out. I have BOXES of books in my garage waiting for a new home.

Books stacked in my bedroom as decoration on top of my dressers, that's where I keep Their Eyes Were Watching God atop of other favorite books I like to see, I love to wake up and see Zora in the morning. I have never gone to any bookstore and (including half priced books) and left with out at least $50 in books.

My kitchen has built in bookshelves for my cookbooks and what not. I run across books I bought ALL THE TIME!! I carry two books with me everywhere I go here. So even at work I can play this game! I also have ref books at work but I won’t bore you with that. Without further adieu from the pages of How to Invest $50-$5000 (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style and White Teeth were underneath this one, it being on top of my bag technically makes it the closest)
There are four compelling reasons why at the $5000 level you should consider buying stocks:
Over the long term, stock out performs bonds and Treasuries.
Stocks offer the possibility of price appreciation.
Stocks offer the possibility of keeping ahead of inflation.
Stocks, especially those paying high dividends, are also a source of income.


LOL! There you go!!

-OG

Gye Greene said...

G,

"listing like drunken sailors reporting for inspection."

Nice turn of phrase. :)


--GG

WNG said...

Doc - I have not, but if you wanted to get me one...

OG - are you sure we weren't separated at birth???

Thanks, Gye. I like words, they're fun.

slag said...

Now…who to tag, who to tag…hmm…Yeah, ALL OF YOU. If you have read this far you have been tagged.
I believe this is cheating. Nonetheless, I'll get on it.

MFP's mother lent me a book by Nora Roberts. Something about horses. I'm trying to like it, but I usually can't get through 8 pages before I fall asleep. It probably gets better.

I am not Star Jones said...

i love people who read!