Tuesday, February 24

strange

I write my parent's eulogies in my head sometimes and I have no idea why. Sometimes I'll be driving and hear a song on the radio that will prompt the writer in my head to start scribbling. Sometimes i'll come out of a daydream and a phrase or sentence will be there.

Inevitably it makes me teary eyed. I don't want either of my parents to die. It isn't something that I like thinking about. I don't sit around writing any of this stuff down either - this is more like snatches of dreams that float through my mind. They are disturbing and sometimes painfull. I have NO idea why I'm sharing this with you guys except I came up with a great sentence this morning that totally summarized my relationship with Papa G. Of course, I've forgotten it now.

While I'm on this funeral kick - I have a playlist for mine. Well, not so much the funeral itself, but for the vodka soaked wake I'm all set. Here's a sample...

American Girl - Tom Petty
She Came In Through The Bathroom Window - The Beatles
People Get Ready - Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions
If It's Magic - Stevie Wonder
Ice Cream - Sarah McLachlan
With or Without You - U2
I'll Work For Your Love - Bruce Springsteen
For The Good Times - Ray Price
A Rose is Still A Rose - Aretha
Franklin
Steppin Out With My Baby - Tony Bennet
Fly Me To The Moon - Frank Sinatra
Strength, Courage and Wisdom - India
Arie
#41 - Dave Matthews
Leeds - Indigo Girls

5 Comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I have a playlist for my funeral, too:

At Last - Etta James

Sexual Healing - Marvin Gaye

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring - Bach

Lulu's Back in Town - Ellis and
Branford Marsalis

They Can't Take That Away From Me - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong

Have a Heart - Bonnie Raitt

Pretty much anything by Stevie Wonder so they'll leave happy

Gye Greene said...

When I go over to people's houses, I'm always intrigued by the amount of overlap in other people's CD collections.

I knew 4/14 = 29% of those songs. :)


I tend to have different morbid thoughts: my playlist for when I'm lying in bed slowly dying of cancer (or losing my mind to dementia).


--GG

Susan said...

My playlist will include:

Purple Rain
Ice, ice baby
Baby Got Back

and...

Bump 'n Grind


Trust me when I say though some will be like "wtf" when they hear them, there will be good friends that'll burst into tears over all of the above.

His Sinfulness said...

I have no playlist and no plans. Because I'm not going to die. Ever. I've been very clear about this.

I do, however, like the playlists suggested here. I'd happily attend your funerals, and sing along. :)

NoRegrets said...

hopefully we won't hear those songs soon.

did you say you wanted a quilt? see my blog..